ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Fascinating Stuff About Bob Ross And His Happy Trees

Fascinating Stuff About Bob Ross And His Happy Trees

Bob Ross got me painting again, thanks for the memories Matey
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

I think the most telling part of the article was that his demos weren't so much about learning painting, but rather the soothing tone of his voice. I can see that. He seems to have been doing little magic tricks for the audience which would be fairly easy to replicate right off the bat for anybody who had no training. Clearly he inspired lots of people though and there's certainly value in that.

I never even heard of him though until I came to ArtRage where some of the early forum members seemed to talk about him as showing the way -- that if he did it a certain way, it was okay by them too. And a lot of the tricks he did may have modeled for the guys who wrote the program some of the tools. I finally looked him up on YouTube and I recognize his method to be identical to other TV painting show guys who I did see while channel surfing.

It's definitely not my style. But if people liked him that's good enough for me. Thanks for the link!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I always liked Bob Ross stuff. He made it look so easy.

Another fellah I like to watch is Mark Crilley (he's a mangaka artist that you can find on youtube.) He has that very easy on the ears voice and simple explanation style teaching that makes sense. I love his realism challenges too. He doesn't always manga, there are some really well done realism sketches in those videos too.

Mark Crilley is great, I enjoy his youtube stuff.

Thanks for the link, fraser_paice. A very analytical look at Ross, interesting reading.

Mark Crilley is good, I'm not into manga but he does some magnificent work. Bob was ridiculed by a lot of 'classic' artists I knew, I suspect because he as rich and famous and they weren't. He has a lot of imitators, like this kid: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx2...nLHU-a139MOcmA, to me though, no one can replace him.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/