ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions a reference/teaching Book for absolute drawing beginners using ArtRage...

Post Suggestions a reference/teaching Book for absolute drawing beginners using ArtRage...

My drawing history is very basic 2-D figures…?

Is there a Beginners “How to learn basic drawing & painting on a digital tablet” book that you would recommend?

The tutorials I’m finding on the ArtRage members site like the one on how to draw an Apple assume skill sets that are unfortunately way beyond my current abilities.

I have three drawing apps now, SketchbookPro, Corel and ArtRage…ArtRage is my hands down favorite in tools, feel and interface.

Any suggestions for a book that takes a beginning student through various exercises would be appreciated.

I see this one on Amazon: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner Paperback
    by Carlyn Beccia

However the reviews state it tailored toward Corel Painter, not sure if that is an issue?

Thanks for any advice.

I suppose you could buy a book, assuming one exists (maybe other people know). But I recommend that you avail yourself of the tutorials on YouTube and in the Tips and Tricks part of the forum. If you're looking to do something specific as a small component in a bigger process, like how to add a layer or something, you can use the ArtRage documentation, or you can ask here in the forums. The forum is generally helpful in this regard. But there are quite a number of tutorials on YouTube that probably could get you going. I'm suspecting others will have suggestions.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You could try Sycra on youtube. I don't know it that's your level, but I learned a TON from him.
    Some of his videos are lengthy, but they're better than any book (In my perspective).
    Also,
    You can try watching other people's digital artworks on youtube, I learned from them too...
    Let's see...
    Mark Crilley does manga (a Japanese art) if you enjoy that kind of stuff.

Amazon = tons of books
    Youtube = tons of tutorials
    Art sites/like this one = tons of kind people waiting to help

I really hope you find what you're looking for. I've looked for books like that myself... but I couldn't find any that fully satisfied me... they're all so expensive, you know?

Post Good ideas

Thanks for pointing me toward YouTube, already found some great stuff!

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    What style of illustration do you want to learn? That will make the biggest difference in your success trying to find a learning source. I have a SketchBook Pro (iPad) course on Lynda.com and others coming soon. But, I would be interested in creating a few videos that would possibly address your desire to learn ArtRage. I'm trying to put together a beginners course for CreativeLive using ArtRage.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Hello khenne and welcome to ArtRage
    As Victor asked, what style of art interests you? Learning whilst focusing on themes and styles that interest you will help keep you motivated.
    The basics of leaning to draw or paint; shape, volume, composition, perspective, colour theory, etc… etc… are the same, be your tools digital or traditional. So any book or YouTube video dealing with them will be of benefit.
    If fantasy themes are your thing then maybe have a look at "Fantasy Art For Beginners" by Jon Hodgson.
    The book is non software specific, you could even follow it using traditional materials if you wanted.
    Jon himself is a big fan ArtRage too!

Fiawin mentioned Sycra's stuff on YouTube and yes you will learn a ton from him.
    He even has this video of his thoughts and suggestions on getting started and leaning for those just starting out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck4NuQWZ-kk
    Last edited by markw; 04-17-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Interests so far as a beginner

Good questions to explore, my interests stem from my work history, I used to be in cell biology research (Fred Hutchinson Cancer research Ctr) and now, past ten years or so, I'm working in healthcare more directly (hospice).

My goal in drawing so for personal enjoyment and I've always been interested in medical/biology illustration.

So I've only had a Wacom Tablet for a few days and I've used ArtRage to draw some one celled critters (Protists), things you would find in a drop of pond water.
    (need to stress I used the tracing feature, and am just discovering the use of layers, going from general sketch, and adding layers later on with lining in and perspective)

I think about making drawings into cards, I am not sure where all this will take me. I love the way, when working on a drawing, how it is a immersive experience.

Thoughts so far, I am definitely checking out YouTube sources on things like how to approach perspective, basic line use and how to practice daily with line technique, I'm getting the feeling that practice and time will be key, and the forum comments so far encourage me to stay in my area of interest/fun so that I keep on practicing daily.

I have been very impressed so far by the helpful tone of this forum.

-Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Protist2.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	80576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paramecium.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	487.5 KB 
ID:	80577  

Post FYI: Artists 'have structurally different brains'

Maybe this explains a few things about why I find this forum interesting:

From BCC today:

Participants' brain scans revealed that artists had increased neural matter in areas relating to fine motor movements and visual imagery.

The research, published in NeuroImage, suggests that an artist's talent could be innate.

But training and environmental upbringing also play crucial roles in their ability, the authors report.

As in many areas of science, the exact interplay of nature and nurture remains unclear.

Lead author Rebecca Chamberlain from KU Leuven, Belgium, said she was interested in finding out how artists saw the world differently.

"The people who are better at drawing really seem to have more developed structures in regions of the brain that control for fine motor performance and what we call procedural memory," she explained.

In their small study, researchers peered into the brains of 21 art students and compared them to 23 non-artists using a scanning method called voxel-based morphometry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Those are cool sketches! Are those from your imagination or observation?

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    Those are cool sketches! Are those from your imagination or observation?
    I am a real drawing newbie so I used the 'trace' function in ArtRage and used a biology image (D G Mackean) a paramecium as a layer one template.Then after I was done drawing I slid the trace image to zero opacity. Don't be impressed I was 'cheating' with a observed image underneath.
    Last edited by khenne; 04-18-2014 at 04:22 PM.