ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My attempt at anime

Talking My attempt at anime

Here's a change of pace for me. I'm not very good at anime (despite what people tell you, it is pronounced an-i-may, not ah-nime), but I try my best.
    Any suggestions? I know her eyes look crooked, but I duplicated the layer of one eye and flipped in around and stuff to make the second one. So technically, the left eye is a copy/reversed version of the right eye.

I call her Kira.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kira.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	80553

I did anime when I was new and sucked at art :P

Looks like you could clean up a few lines. Is this finished work?

Like what you've done! Looks good!

Just a few thoughts.

You might try playing around with line weights. Thicker lines to one side to suggest which side your light source is on.

The eyes look good. Flipping was a good idea to get consistency with the eyes. You might move the highlights on them to the same side on each. Again, this will suggest which side your light source is on.

Again, like what you've done. Keep it up!
    I'm an artist. I draw flies . . .

My dog's name is Kira

Nice work !

I quit MangaStudio Pro too and doing all my stuff on ArtRage :P

----> ah-ne-meh <----

Good first attempt. If you're learning anime, it may be beneficial to check out a youtube artist named Mark Crilley. He's an excellent accomplished manga artist here in the US and is quite dedicated to teaching, and has produced several good tutorial books well worth the 20 bucks each. Not to mention his manga stories are good as well to read.

Currently he is who I will be honing my skills by learning with his books. Unfortunately health concerns have been taking the forefront of my attention and my anime and manga studies have halted.

I think the previous suggestions of playing with line weight work (also trying different line colors (other than just black to line your work. Sometimes a color similar to the area you're working on can make things pop better than just a flat black.) and cleaning up some of the shading and you'll have a made a great start a fantastic one. Please keep up the good work, I love seeing new anime artists and their progress. Someday I will make my own manga and perhaps it will sit on store shelves next to yours.

Edit: I wanted to add the link to his channel. It's not just manga he does too, he's a very easy to learn from person. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCno...iLrN0Wbl8qICFA
    Last edited by MJSparks; 09-30-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Hi MAGS I thought it was your 1st attempt at Annie May just had to it see it KIA ORA POZDRAWSKI

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Hi MAGS I thought it was your 1st attempt at Annie May just had to it see it KIA ORA POZDRAWSKI
    Howdy Sir. Good to see you still sketching like a madman and checking out others works. I see anything with ol Annie May in it...and I have to see. This artist is well along the way of becoming very exceptional at it. I hope to see more of them and more of anime in general!

Looks about right. The eyes are perfect