ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: load tracing image as reference

Lightbulb load tracing image as reference

I'm sitting here painting and realised how cool it would be to have an option to load my tracing image in the reference window. It would be a real time saver.

The folder I'm in has a few hundred pictures, taking a while to load, so I'm having difficulty locating the image I'm tracing, as reference. It's all visual since ArtRage doesn't have a file name for the tracing image anywhere in the UI. So I've gone to list view instead in the tracing window, memorised the file name, gone to the ref window and opened it.

Why not save a copy of your tracing image as a jpg then you can load it as a reference

Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Why not save a copy of your tracing image as a jpg then you can load it as a reference
    They're saying it's already saved somewhere, they just can't find it again easily when they want to open it as a reference instead I've had that problem myself, especially when I grab a picture from a folder full of 400 pictures.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Hannah's right, justjean. I have the image already under my canvas ready for tracing. I put the same image up in the Refs window as well. It would be nice to have an option in the Refs window menu eg Load Tracing Image As Reference or a little icon alongside the Load Reference Image / New Scrap / New View icons, eg Load Tracing Image.

I'm not loading it as a reference instead. I'm loading it as a reference as well as a tracing image.

It would be a nice option to have.

In the meantime, you might try to get into the habit of loading any image you're looking to use as a reference image first, since the references allow you to automatically make them tracing images.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks very much for the tip, I'll try that

Edit: Brilliant! I right-clicked on ref image and chose "Make this a Tracing Image" (this option isn't in the ref window menu btw, not sure why). Learn something new every day. Thank you!
    Last edited by hildee; 04-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.

a new way to use tracing image

I wish there was a programmable button I could hold down to see the full strength of the tracing image and then let up when I draw and repeat often while drawing.

Be able to see the tracing image at full strength and then back down to a percentages of your choice!