ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Viewing One ArtRage File in Two Windows

Viewing One ArtRage File in Two Windows

I'm running a MacBook Pro and have two other monitors working off it: an ancient 23" Apple Cinema Display and a Cintiq 13HD. What I'd like to do is have an ArtRage file open on my Cintiq, where I'm doing close-up work on my drawing/painting, as well as on the large display, where I'd like to see the entire painting. In other words, I'm trying to avoid zooming in and out to see the progress of my picture; I'd like to just hit Save and look up to see the result on the larger monitor.

Is this possible?

I realize it might involve so much RAM I'll give up on the idea, but until I find that out, I'm curious to see if I can streamline my work process a little.

Thanks,
    Steve

ArtRage 4 has a feature called the "New View" on the Reference panel. It allows you to pin a second view of your canvas to your screen, which can be rescaled to whatever size you'd like. So if you open your painting, open the Reference panel and select the "New View" option at the bottom of the panel and then drag the reference to your other screen. You can then rescale it to fill the screen and work up close on the actual canvas while being able to see the larger version on the other screen. You can even paint directly on the "reference", if you wish, so if you wanted to add something without zooming out your canvas, you could just draw it over the reference instead.

Here's an example of this on my computer (it's a Window OS, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Mac).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new view ex.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	80491
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-13-2014 at 04:30 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi and welcome to the forums swedan
    You can open a new reference view of your painting, drag it to one of your monitors and expand it to fill as much of that screen as you wish.
    You can also paint/draw in the reference window just as you can in the main window.
    It's also possible to have more than one reference view open at a time.

AR is a 32bit app so it's not going to access more than around 4GB RAM. And as important as RAM can be, I think when working with multiple screens a good CPU and GPU are going to be just as important.

I see someonesane just beat me to the "Submit Post" button
    Last edited by markw; 04-13-2014 at 04:36 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Yes, this works great! Thanks so much, both of you.

Steve