ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Crop 2 Selection...inaccuracy?

Crop 2 Selection...inaccuracy?

Greetings,

While following along a ScreenCast tutorial for ArtRage I immediately stumbled using the basic ArtRage 'Crop to Selection' command.

Setup was simple: background uses the checkerboard pattern. Crop was to select only 4 square...see the results [attached].

Any ideas on how to get the selection to crop properly?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ...the best is yet to come!

Hi minstrel
    Humm, not sure what went wrong for you there…?
    I think perhaps the exact steps leading up to you using 'Crop To Selection' are key to knowing what happened.
    Have a look at this short video of me doing it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Selection.mp4
    It's silent I'm afraid (to much background noise here!)
    In it I first select all the black squares with the 'Wand Selection Tool' and then with the 'Rectangle Selection Tool' deselect the ones I don't want in the group.
    Finally I use Crop To Selection.
    Last edited by markw; 04-13-2014 at 02:27 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thanks Markw for the quick response and video.

It seems you created the squares individually where I'm just using the black/white "Checkers" pattern as a background. Can't seem to use the selection 'magic wand' on a background pattern.

After a bit more play I noticed that the 'zoom' factor has something to do with it. Leave it at default zoom; no problem. Zoom in on the pattern and make a rectangular selection and then 'crop 2 selection' ... this now produces inaccurate results.

...and yes, your technique works great! Thanks again for your input!

Hello Ministrel - it might be a silly suggestion but have you tried 'resetting current tool' as you might inadvertently be using a preset which is causing the cropping you are experiencing.

Click on the little black arrowhead and you will be able to reset the crop tool.

Well, Enug, gave that a shot. No change.

Thanks!

Ah, I see…
    Interesting, something odd dose seem to be happening.
    In this video I set the canvas pattern to 'Chequer' and then select 4 squares with the rectangular selection tool, then crop. Which works.
    But see what happens when I change the 'Scale' for the canvas pattern from the default 100% and try again.
    I get what you got more or less. This may be a bug, could be something to do with how the canvas tiling works? I suggest you drop support a line about it and lets see what they think.
    Video link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...election-2.mp4
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Canvas patterns are tiled in to the canvas based on the top left of the area, so when you crop down the canvas you get a new canvas size and in to that is tiled the original pattern starting again from the top left, potentially with scaling. Try doing a Pattern Fill with the Pattern you want and selecting the area inside that, a Pattern Fill applies actual paint to the canvas so it won't change scale or offset after a crop.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Of course, that explains it...thanks for the clarification and solution Matt!