ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glitter tool question?

Glitter tool question?

Hi guys,

I've been watching videos about ArtRage on YouTube. I'm really interested in purchasing ArtRage so that I can make different glitter style and what not. One thing that I need to know before purchasing ArtRage, is if I can change the shapes of the glitter into different shapes such as heart or stars, basically shapes other than the squares, circles, balls and grits I think I saw. If there is a way to do that, or if that isn't possible at all, I'd like to know before spending the money in case I don't get what I think I want. I don't mind having to make those tools myself, but I want to know if it's possible at all. Thank you for any help that you guys can give me.

You can't do that with the glitter tool - but you could with the Sticker Spray tool (basically a custom brush generator). It's a lot more complicated, but it also has a lot more options.

For example, Star Glitter is already one of the current options

There are some good tutorials around, like this one: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...reset-Creation (for the previous version of ArtRage, but the steps are still the same).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Hi MarP
    Well as AR is my painting app of choice I would be biased and say "what are you waiting for, buy it!"
    However it sounds to me like you should try it out first and see if you and it are meant to be!
    You can download the demo version here: http://www.artrage.com/artrage-4-demo/
    There is no time limit on the demo version, so take your time and thoroughly explore what it can do.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thank you for the replies I am very excited to try the demo version, to see if it can and will do what I want, but from the sounds of it, it will! I can't wait to see! YAyyyyy! I might have to come back for help, I hope not, but we will see. haha.

Well, I'm still really lost. LOL. I have read and reread the tutorial for sticker making, but I cannot wrap my head around how I can make it work for me.
    The star shape stickers is sort of what I want, but not quite. I love how the glitter works, with the metallics etc. If I make a glitter in photoshop, for example a stock photo of real glitter that I own, how would I use it to make a glitter like tool? Would I need to make 6/7 copies of each individual glitter piece like the numbers 0-6, or like a stack of glitters in each section? I'm further confusing myself even asking this. LOL. Can I just edit the star sticker and replace it with my own stickers within artrage once I purchase the full version, or will the lock still be there, and not editable, I would have to start from scratch? I'm sorry for being a newb here, but that's just what I am. LOL

Yeah, it's probably going to be pretty daunting. There's more to it then just adding a shape and letting the program make it shine, like the glitter tool does with it's predefined settings.

I actually created the Star sticker that you're referring too. It's somewhat unique, because it uses a number of different image layers. Its "Lower Layer" consists of a Color map, a Texture map, a Gloss map, and a Metallic map, while it's "Upper Layer" holds only a Texture and Gloss map. The combination of these two layers and multiple maps, is what allows ArtRage to apply it's 3D light rendering to it, making it appear as though it has a shiny metallic surface. This means that the surface of that particular sticker reflects light dynamically when rotated on your canvas (this can be seen by placing a Star on the canvas and then using the Transform tool to rotate it). If you wanted to create a Sticker Spray that worked somewhat like the Glitter Tool, with it dropping 2 different shapes that made use of the dynamic lighting (for the shiny surface), you'd need to make a dual cell Sticker Sheet, to hold both shapes and then make separate images for whichever layer maps you expect to use. So you'd end up with something like my attached image, below. In that image, you can see how the shapes appear to be a flat red color within the Sticker Creator window, but because of the various Upper and Lower image maps I added in, the Stickers themselves appear to be shiny when seen as the final Sticker Sheet (at the top of the image) or when placed on the ArtRage canvas.

Once the Sticker Sheet is made, getting the Sticker Spray to drop the stickers as though it were glitter, means tinkering with the Variations panel. Key points to keep in mind there, is that you'll want to keep the "Scale" options set low and the "Offset" options set high. I'd recommend only using the "Base Value" dial or the "Pen Pressure" dial, for the "Scale". In my example image, I had my "Base Value" setting for "Scale" set to 10%, for the smaller shapes and around 34% for the largest shapes. I only used the "Base Value" column for the "Offset", set to 100%. The thing about the variation settings, is that they work in relation to the size of your stickers. So even if you follow these settings as a guide, they may not work for you, depending on how large or small your stickers are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glitter.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	80251
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Alternatively, you could try bribing SomeoneSane. I hear they take payment in diamonds and oil shares.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

When you show your stars and moons, they look so much prettier than when I do it haha. Anyway that is what I am looking for. I now realize it's not just as simple as I was hoping it was. I will have to get the program and learn it as best I can. haha thanks for all the help, I'm looking forward to trying things out!

I've created a video walk through tutorial for you, on how to create a dynamically reflective sticker sheet with 4 stickers on it and how to set the Sticker Spray Variations to create a Glitter/Confetti type of effect. I've also packaged the presets and sticker sheet into a .ARPACK. I'm not sure the package work with the trial version, but it looks like the option is open. If you download it, double click on the SPM Glitter.arpack file and it should automatically open ArtRage and begin the installation. You'll only need to click "Install", once the program opens. You'll find the new presets in the "Glitter" group on the presets panel (Note: you must you have Sticker Spray selected, to see it's presets).

Here's the video tutorial: VIDEO LINK

And here's the link to the ArtRage pack file: SPM Glitter.arpack

Here's an example of what the presets do:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glitterex.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	80274
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Wonderful glitter making tutorial Someonesane. I followed along and created some really nice glitter. Thank you.