ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Color Samples Deletion

Color Samples Deletion

Hello,

I've been using ArtRage for a few years now, but today … a new twist! I some how deleted all my Color Samples, so now I have none. My color sample collection was collected from several paintings, and now they appear to be all gone. How I loved that palette.

First: I opened my current painting, and my color samples appeared as rows of little square colors, instead of a list of named colors. How I got little rows of squares as the colors, I have no idea. It was in trying to correct that, that I accidentally deleted the entire list.

Then I discovered that the color samples are all gone in all of my paintings. They do not seem to be backed up anywhere.

First Question: Are they backed up somewhere I haven't looked? Please help.

I will add more questions to this, as I think of them. For now, I must try to cool down, because I am really angry that this could happen. And I am very sad, that my entire collection of colors is gone.

I looked in the manual under "Color Samples" and all I found were the basic instructions, which did not mention how I could end up with rows of little squares that appeared out of no where, for starters… never mind how to get back to one's list of named colors. So I will ask more questions about the Color Menu as I think of them.

Please help, and thank you.

Oh dear, that sounds like a real pain.

Okay, first, is the colour sample 'row of boxes' the type on the right? (and were you expecting to see the type on the left?)

Name:  color samples.png
Views: 185
Size:  99.5 KB

This is just the difference between ArtRage 3 and ArtRage 4. I'm guessing you're used to ArtRage 3 and never opened the colour samples in 4?

Second, had you ever saved the colour samples as a .col file? The samples can be Local (i.e. within the painting/program) and Global (loaded as a file from outside of that painting). If you have them saved as a file elsewhere, then all you did was clear the ArtRage palette, and the file should be intact.

If you go to the menu button then Add Samples > Load From Disk it will open the custom content folder for ArtRage 4 and let you browse for the files.
    Name:  add sample.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  47.8 KB

If you are using custom colour palettes from before ArtRage 4, then they may be saved somewhere else, in the ArtRage 3 Resources folder (unless you chose to save them somewhere else again).

There are instructions for transferring custom content from the old Resource folder here: http://www.artrage.com/faqs/copy-custom-resources/

You can also try searching your computer for .col files, as these will be the colour sample files.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

You can turn color sample names on and off as you wish using the 'Show Samples With Names' option you see in the menu above. If you ever see your color samples without the names they had but in a tight grid just check that option.

If you added color samples to the painting specifically (in ArtRage 4 these are 'Toolbox Samples', in ArtRage 3 they are 'Local Samples') then when you re-load the painting, the samples are re-loaded as well in to the appropriate section of the panel. The only way those can get lost is if you clear them then re-save the painting with them cleared.

If you added color samples globally (the default option in ArtRage 4) then the samples aren't stored with your paintings, they're stored globally in ArtRage and if you clear them, or clear your preferences, you lose them. You can back them up whenever you want however, just save your samples either to disk as Hannah mentioned, or using the Add to Collection option in ArtRage 4 (shown in the menu above). This saves out your sample sets in a form that can be re-loaded later.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the responses. I never thought of mentioning which ArtRage I have, but I have the latest version … ArtRage 4.0.6.

Please tell me what to do in that version. I will study the answers you have provided so far, to see if I can figure it out.

Thanks.

So after studying your responses, my colors are all gone.

I just looked at the menu with Color Samples. Where in the Manual does it tell you how to save your Color Samples? I have never come across this.

There is no reason my colors should have been displayed in a row, I changed no setting that I am aware of.

Thanks

The manual has a section on color samples starting on page 68. On page 69 you'll find information on the Add to Collection item in the menu noted above, and the Export item that allows you to save a colour set.

Regarding displaying samples with names or not - The 'Show Samples With Names' option in the menu can be used to change whether samples are displayed with names or not. Changing this setting does not remove the names, so regardless of how it was turned off you can just turn it back on again if required. See page 69 of the manual for more info on that.

If you have been using ArtRage 4 all along then the samples you added were probably 'Global' samples. These are stored in preferences and if preferences are deleted they will be lost. This may be why you cannot find them. If you create a set of samples, save using the options described above and they can be recovered whenever you need them.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the help MattRage

Ambra