ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Importing Own Canvas Textures

Importing Own Canvas Textures

I hope this is not too dumb; whenever I use the supplied canvas/paper textures I get an overall tiling effect (presumably where the edges of the samples don't quite match). As I work a lot with dry brush/crayon techniques this is rather undesirable as it shows as an uneven grid pattern on the finished A/W. I was wondering whether I might be able to install my own scan of a full size texture (say 400mm x 300mm), but despite scouring the forums I have been unable to locate details on how to do this - or even if it is a wise move or just plain stupid.

I would be grateful for any advice or links.

Thank you.

You haven't mentioned which version of ArtRage you're using, so I'll assume you're using the newest release of ArtRage 4. To import grains for use in ArtRage, you can use the following steps (Note: There are other methods, but this one will add the grains to your collection, so you'll always have them instantly available):

Select View → Canvas Settings to open the Canvas Settings panel (points 1 + 2).
    Click on the preview bar just below where it reads "Grain" on the Grain tab (point 3).
    Select the "Select From Collection" option from the menu (Point 4).
    ○ (Note: If you have a grain that you only plan to use this one time, you can simply use the "Load From Disk" option here and skip having to place it in your collection.
    If you haven't already created your own Group, click "Add Group" on the Paper Grains panel and create one (point 5).
    Be sure to select the Group you'd like to add your grains too (point 6), if it's not already highlighted.
    Click "Import Grain" (point 7) and select the image file you wish to import.
    The image you import will appear within your selected group in the right hand window (point 8). If you wish to add more grains, simply click on "Import Grain" again and add each one, until you're done.
    When you've imported all of your grains, click on the grain you wish to use (point 8) and then click "OK" (point 9) to exit the Paper Grains panel, where you may then adjust how the grain is used as your canvas on the Canvas Settings panel (below point 3).

Click Image To Enlarge:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvas grains.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	80061
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-23-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you so much Someonesane for all that info. I think you have probably saved me many days of searching for the right menu so I am really grateful.

I am starting to think that anything that I scan will end up as a small 'sample' that will 'tile' itself across the background, so I am now looking for ways to get an interactive texture that doesn't repeat itself.

Thank you again. Have a lovely weekend.

Ps. I'm using AR4 with a Cintiq and a Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Essemmgee View Post
    Thank you so much Someonesane for all that info.
    No problem.

I am starting to think that anything that I scan will end up as a small 'sample' that will 'tile' itself across the background, so I am now looking for ways to get an interactive texture that doesn't repeat itself.
    Unless you get really lucky, pretty much any texture you scan and try to tile will have a visible seam to it. I can show you a method for ironing the edge seams out (involving the Fill/Pattern tool and clone tool), but, even if you take care of the edges, the smaller the tile is the easier it will be to spot a repetition in it's pattern. So you'll want the image scans to be as big you can possibly keep them, to avoid that. I'll put a video together for you, but it'll have to wait until I finish the one I'm currently working on for another member here.

Once again thank you Someonesane. I have spent the afternoon faffing about with various large scans, one of which seems to work - hurrah (though it seems to tile itself if I try to use it at less than 130% size, which is weird because the original is much bigger than the AR canvas size that I intend to use).

Eternally grateful for your help

Hi,
    Here's the video tutorial covering how to make a seamless tile. At around 2:55 into the video, I mention a tutorial on using the "Cloner" tool. If you haven't used that tool before, you might want to check out the tutorial (the link for it appears on the video screen, which you can click and to bring it up). If you have any trouble, just ask here and I'll try to help. Good luck and have fun exploring

Direct LINK (Note: Be sure to watch it in HD, at fulls screen, if you need to read the menus):

BRILLIANT!
    Good morning Someonesane. Thank you. Along with your 2008 video I feel that I have now got a comprehensive solution to the problem of visible tiling - as well as new knowledge about several other AR capabilities that I was not aware of. Doing the happy dance

Wishing you a superb week

And a good morning to you .

Glad to hear you have it have it sorted out. I had thought about directing you to my 2008 video, but since you mentioned you were using ArtRage 4, I didn't know how confusing it would be to try and follow along with a tutorial done with the older AR 2 interface. Though, the methods used there could easily be done in ArtRage 4. Basically, the two tutorials use the base method. The difference is in the set up, where I skip having to line up four duplicated layers by hand, letting the Pattern Fill tool to do the work for me, and then use the clone tool to mend the seams, instead of erasing away a duplicated layer holding the pattern.