ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just something interesting.

Just something interesting.

One of the many things I do is collect old books. Not antique but old, most of them are over 100 years old, some from the 1700s. One of my shelves was about to fall apart thus requiring the removal of the books. I looked at a set I have from the 1890s about artists. Two years ago I wouldn't have appreciate them, now I do. One of them is about Japanese woodcuts, I saw a drawing that I found interesting. It was a woodcut made from a drawing made by someone's fingernail, presumably the finger was still attached to the person. I posted the image and the cover of the book showing the date.

Name:  portfolio 1.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  144.0 KB
    Name:  portfolio 2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  364.0 KB

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Smile

Fantastic. I am also a collector - first editions of Gustave Dore are my pride and joy. You've reminded me to bring them out and enjoy them.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

I have an old German book I can't read and I don't know what it's worth either. Where does one look for such things? I enjoy old items.

It's some kinda children's tales book. I'll have to dig it out and get the name and author. I think it's stuffed away in an old chest along with many other old objects. Being a family historian... folks tend to give me lots of interesting old things. I have a stein that's from Germany that's dated about 1812, it's missing the lid though. Along with several other books, a porcelain doll from the 30s-40s (I think) and various knick-knacks and even a sewing box. Oh, and a 6 generation recipe for chicken egg noodles which is totally tasty but never the same as dear old granny used to make...

I have a few German ones, beautiful ones, I can pick out some words but not all. I have some from the 1830s in French. I have a classic in the original Chinese format written by madam Chang Kai Shek http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soong_May-ling, it's a real cool book.

Smile

Here is a Doré image that I would like to tackle someday. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get etching like strokes in ArtRage4?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 4.34.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	464.7 KB 
ID:	80085

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Maybe a very small rake brush or making a canvas just for that purpose?

Cool. I have a bunch of old books with plates of old engravings as well. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, Japanese prints were a huge inspiration back in Van Gogh's time and with himself in particular. Seeing such prints give insight into the artist being inspired and translating it into the practical workings of his paint and drawing methods.

And as to how to go about doing this yourself? Pretty lofty aspiration. I understand why you would want to, but it's probably a little out of your reach at this point. I can tell by your question.

Why not try something less advanced to begin with. He has several things going on there it looks like, not to mention an insane level artistic ability in several areas. And who knows how much this art was reduced.

I would recommend looking at old comic book artists like Bernie Wrightson for their BW compositions and marks. It's got a similar eye for light against dark compositional quality, only less refined. more comic book illustration-esque. And even though the subject is often gothic, you will learn a lot about composition and how to use values for staging.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

you might zoom in on it to determine what kind of strokes you are dealing with in the many small areas. but it would have to be a series of strokes of varying shades of gray and it would probably not be all that convincing as an etching after an enormous amount of work. you could sure use it as a model for a drawing or painting. a drawing on black background might be as close as you could come.

Smile

Yup. I figured it would be a Herculean task. Someday I hope to do this etching justice with my own illustration using ArtRage. Going to use ArtRage4 - not even going to attempt it on the iPad. I think I'll tackle two figures in the same environment with a similar dark tumultuous feel.

I do like a challenge!

Smile Hey Gms9810. Did not intend to Bogart your thread

But, I am so excited to work on the Dore illustration I gotta ask you all, is starting from a black background and painting white is a good idea? I've made my first pass in pencil on white for the layout but this is going to take a lot of time to create so I though I'd ask now.