ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Imported images too large

Unhappy Imported images too large

Hi

I have been using ArtRage for a while now on my laptop; however, I have had to get a new computer and have put ArtRage onto that to use instead. I thought all is well until I imported an image that I wanted to finish painting into Artrage on my new computer. Once I did this the the image MB's multiplied. I imported an image with around 61mb and once imported to Artrage it grew to over 300,000 kb???

At the time I hadn't realised and continued to paint and nearly completed the painting. However when I tried to save it onto a stick as a tiff (a backup) I cannot export it to a hard drive or stick as a Tiff. I get an error message stating something about a generic problem. When I then go on to the stick so see if it saved, it appears to have saved but I am unable to open it and the size is 1kb. It is still on Artrage as a ptg. and I cannot save it anywhere else.

Can anyone tell me why imported image grew in size?

I tried importing another image around the same mb size and the same thing happened.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have ArtRage 3.5 and the new computer has a corei7 processor.

Regards

When you import an image it has to be given additional data that it would not have had before it was converted in to a painting, for example the wetness of the paint and how deep the paint is on the canvas. This means that the amount of memory required for the painting is higher than the amount required for just a flat image. It sounds like the images you are importing are pretty huge, that's probably why you're not able to use them, you're getting a memory error because the images are too large to work with.

If you size the images down before importing (or potentially resize them when in ArtRage if possible) you should be able to save them.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    When you import an image it has to be given additional data that it would not have had before it was converted in to a painting, for example the wetness of the paint and how deep the paint is on the canvas. This means that the amount of memory required for the painting is higher than the amount required for just a flat image. It sounds like the images you are importing are pretty huge, that's probably why you're not able to use them, you're getting a memory error because the images are too large to work with.

If you size the images down before importing (or potentially resize them when in ArtRage if possible) you should be able to save them.

Hi Matt

The image I have was painted on ArtRage originally. As I am painting an image on ArtRage, I usually save them as Tiff as I go (to back them up should something happen to my computer). I have also imported a previously painted image that was saved as a tiff file into my ArtRage onto my laptop with no problems like this before.

That is why I find in difficult to understand why I am getting this issue now. It has never been a problem before.

I guess it is not something other people have experienced!

Any suggestions?

On the same issue I have now discovered that I cannot paint images on my new computer using ArtRage at the same size as I could on my laptop. I used to paint my images at 8000 x 8000 pixels and had no problem saving them. My laptop was Core i5 processor.

Now with my new computer with Core i7 processor I only seem to be able to save images painted at 5000 x 5000 pixels.

So the original issue I had regarding importing files seems to be a memory problem with my new computer. It is supposed to have 8GB RAM and my laptop only had 4GB Memory.

I'm confused.

Can anyone throw some light on my issue?

I would appreciate your help.