ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Real paint

Real paint

I opened up my oils today to start getting used to them. All in all I felt comfortable, thanks to artrage but I need to make some changes. From now on I'll wear shorts when I paint, I had paint all over me. The table top easel I bought works wonderfully for a canvas but doesn't work well with canvas boards, which I bought to practice on. I also have to find a better way of cleaning my brushes. I can do this though.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

I am admire you are going to try the real oil paint. I hope you can post some once you have painted something. I love oil painting a lot. I hope one day I can get my hand on this medium in real. Go for it !

I think I might end up trying acrylics.

Try them all out sooner or later. There are tricks and quirks to each of them.

With oil, make sure you look up the toxicity of it if you don't already know it. There are things you don't want to do with it, and when you are closed in without a lot of ventilation for the winter you have to be aware of the airborne particulates from turpentine (odorless or not) in addition to it all soaking into your skin. Seriously. If you're getting it all over your clothes, and more likely if/when you're holding a rag to wipe your brushes that has a lot of paint and turps in it, when it's constantly in contact with your hands it's soaking through, it's flat out not healthy. I used to use those disposable clear plastic mits they use for food preparation. That part's a pain admittedly but one does what one needs for the long haul.

If you take precautions and don't think of it like being a kid with finger painting and all that, it may be better. Sorry to take the romance of the reckless artist out of the equation, if I did.

Anyway, here is a little bit on the subject.

http://www.dickblick.com/healthsafety/

http://books.google.com/books?id=1sD...erials&f=false
    Last edited by D Akey; 03-19-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I used oils years ago but was easily discouraged so I gave it up. I've had a little, and I stress little experience with real acrylics. I do stenciling for fun I use craft acrylics in the bottles but they're not the same thing as we would use here.