ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Harmony "Hang" Sound in Interesting Instrumental

Harmony "Hang" Sound in Interesting Instrumental

I come across with this instrumental in person and I am loving it the beautiful sounds it creats. Just want to share with you all. Some old Artragers here know that I need music to paint.

HD Version in Solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBiVq2MsCbs

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRvLS3MhAGc

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0h4syLlw5g

What a trip!

He says this instrument it only 12 years old (when the video was shot in Edinburgh), and yet he makes it sound so medieval and with all the street noise it's as if creating a sense of place out of time.

I can see how you would be so inspired by this Pai! And thanks for sharing it. I LOVE IT. Long dresses, walled gardens, fairs, a light heart, books of hours, troubadours, poetry of the heart. Inspiration in waves.

Does this sound at all Chinese to your ear? Or Tibetan. . . so interesting.

Go Pai Go!!!!!!!
    Last edited by D Akey; 03-19-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I am glad you like it, Dakey. The beautiful sound gives me a very earthy reverberating feel, not typically is Chinese music at all, maybe little bit Tibetan. More to my ear, is the rhythm, melody, very grounded to the nature, like earth dance.

A friend of mine plays that strange instrument. But when I asked him to tell me more about it, he only said that you can only find 5 instrument builders (facteurs d'orgues) in
    my country (France) and that the price was hight (between 3000 and 5000 euros) and long the time to have it.
    He said this with a mysterious smile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131102_Nalsace_Hang.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	80008

But if you are looking for an alternative (that is realy a cool solution, I use it on my iPad), I suggest you to have a look at those links =>

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/oddt...309730872?mt=8

http://www.avacata.com/iphone/oddtunes/hang/index.cfm

By the way, it seems that the "Hang" was developed in Switzerland in the year 2000...

This is my favourite instrument and I've been looking for one for years now. They are really hard to get a hold of, rare, expensive - the waiting lists are thousands of people long. You are right, there are only a few makers out there, although we are getting some new folk trying to make their own. The instrument family is referred to as handpans, the original "Hang" is not being made anymore (the makers from Switzerland moved onto other projects).

If they're so expensive, one wonders how a busker can afford one, unless he's been given one and was then sent out to promote it. Apparently it's successful, reading these last couple posts about the popularity and comparative rarity of them. . . and the Swiss company dropped them. Curious. Nice pics as well. The indoor markets and festival not unlike what took place in the cathedrals in the early Medieval days.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the information, the photo and the the links about the iphone app, I may try it out. For sure, I can't afford a piece like that..haha I will just enjoy the music it creates

I already put few "hang" music on my phone so I can hear any time, it's amazing music

There are ways to get them cheaper - one can take part in "lotteries" and hope to win. One of the main makers, the makers of Halo, do a lottery every year or so - in the last one you could place whatever bid you wanted and so I think the lowest bid that won (winning allows you to buy the instrument) was 100 dollars - so the lucky winner just paid the 100 dollars for the Halo. So it's possible. Also, this is quite a specific community and many of the people who own those are very connected to them, live simply, busk etc. Not necessarily for money, but for the enjoyment, love of music and the will to share it with others.

They are all hand made and require a lot of work - most makers treat them as individual pieces of art, not a business. And that's probably part of the reason Hang people stopped - they have new projects and new areas they want to focus on.