ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Artrage Infinite

Artrage Infinite

I recently began playing around with two somewhat new art programs, Inkfish and Mischief. These two programs have one thing in common that suddenly hit me as a perfect addition for Artrage, infinite canvas, the ability to zoom in or out to infinity, no more having to transformed or scale your art if you misjudged the canvas size although I still like having the transformed function.
    This isn't really so much a suggestion as it's more wishful thinking, but imagine if Artrage did have an infinite canvas mode.... The possibilities boggle the mind.
    What does the community here think of Artrage with infinite canvas mode? Is it something you would want? Do your think the next version of Artrage should consider it or should a stripped-down separate version be released instead? If so, which Artrage features MUST be included? Stencils, tracing and reference has my vote, what does everyone here think?

To me, the "infinite zoom" part of these programs is more a gimmick than a useful feature. These are vector art programs, so it's cool that your drawings do not lose quality as you zoom in, but that's only cool looking when viewing this art in moving/video format where you can zoom in on a detail to reveal a new world, for example. If your art is more about printing and viewing, what does infinite zoom buy you over just having the ability to create high-resolution images? I rather see better support and performance for very large, high dpi images than changing ArtRage to use vectors and have infinite zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfree View Post
    If your art is more about printing and viewing, what does infinite zoom buy you over just having the ability to create high-resolution images? I rather see better support and performance for very large, high dpi images than changing ArtRage to use vectors and have infinite zoom.
    Actually, having "very large, high dpi images" is exactly what those infinite zoom programs allow. The fact that they're vector based, means each stroke is a calculation of numbers, rather then a grouping of pixels. So whenever you enlarge/zoom the image, the program simply recalculates the strokes, allowing for them to scale as crisply as the first time you made them. That means, if you drew the image at what appeared to be an inch high, you could scale it up beyond the height of your house and it wouldn't lose any quality.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    That means, if you drew the image at what appeared to be an inch high, you could scale it up beyond the height of your house and it wouldn't lose any quality.
    Fair point I hadn't thought about really large printings! I guess I'm thinking too "traditional" in the sense that I pick a canvas size, even if it's 100x100 meters at 600dpi, and that's my canvas and it would allow me as much detail as I needed. But once done, that canvas could not be easily scaled to smaller or larger without losing quality just as a real canvas cannot be stretched or cut down to different dimensions without losing something of the original. With web graphics, for example, I have found it very useful to create them as SVG files and then export that to a PNG at the different sizes I needed.

I wonder how difficult it would be replicate ArtRage's paint simulation in a vector-based paint engine....

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfree View Post
    I wonder how difficult it would be replicate ArtRage's paint simulation in a vector-based paint engine....
    That's a pretty good question, it can simulate various dry media such as pen and ink, pencils, chalks or crayon, but wet media is another thing entirely.
    I don't know anything about the types of programs or how they do what they do , I just thought it would be cool to have an infinite canvas version for Artrage.
    That's why I asked if a separate stripped down version would make more sense that trying to incorporate it into the existing build, maybe an Artrage illustrator version that is for sketching only and not hard painting or such.