ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Oil drying time

Question Oil drying time

So how exactly is this calculated and is there a way to influence it with a global multiplier? I keep getting the paint dry out when trying to blend it. As far as I see there is no way to 'activate' it.

When in 'oil mode' open Settings pod - there is an option called "Insta-Dry" in there. Make sure it's not ticked - if it's ticked, then paint is dry as soon as you finish the stroke. If not, it stays wet and you can add/blend/move it around.

Yes, but this works for a while, and then it seems the paint 'dries'. After which you cant move it or blend it, you can 'scrape' it however with palette knife. I'm looking for a way to extend that 'drying' time.

It doesn't dry... At least mine doesn't...

To make sure I left paint on the canvas for a couple of hours and it was still just the same. It doesn't dry if the insta-dry is off. There is however a limit to how far you can 'stretch it' and how much you can play with it and thin it/blend it. That's more to do with how much paint has been laid down and what you are doing with it, not with drying.

Can you write clearly what paint, on what settings and what exactly you are trying to do with it?

Paint can only smear when there is enough of it on the canvas. If the palette knife is smudging it (like blurring) rather than smearing that's because there's only a small amount there. ArtRage works by tracking the amount of paint at each point of the canvas so if you put down a blob of oil and spread it, the amount of oil at each point becomes less because you're spreading a finite amount over a larger and larger area. Eventually, the paint thins down to the point that it's just a pigment staining the canvas at which point you can't spread it or blend it any more.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.