Thread: Adding a shadow to a cartoon

Gallery
    View images

Adding a shadow to a cartoon

Hi,

Can someone advise me on any techniques to adding a drop shadow to a drawing with ArtRage 2? New to drawing and just did the cartoon tutorial after purchasing and was wondering if there was an e-z way to add a shadow to the drawing.

This is a great program!

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Welcome to the forums 8)

I see midi in your username? so are you into music production?

To paint a shadow, create a new layer between the background and the foreground. Click the triangle button of the layer in the layer panel and choose Layer Blending -> Shadow. The layer's opacity controls the strength of the shadow. Set the colour to black on the colour wheel and then you can paint a shadow using the colour slider to set values between black to greys to white. Black is full shadow, white is no shadow.

Gallery
    View images

Shadow

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and help and yes I'm a professional musician here in the states.

Could you help me a little further? I'm not sure what you mean about a layer in between the "foreground and background?"

I know how to create new layers in Art Rage and was able to find those parameters regarding shadows that you mentioned.

Maybe this will help you you with how I'm stuck. If I just draw a quick sketch of say a ball on a single layer how would I have a background layer and a foreground layer? Do I need to duplicate the layer first before trying to create the shadow?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Dave

Gallery
    View images

Shadow

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and help and yes I'm a professional musician here in the states.

Could you help me a little further? I'm not sure what you mean about a layer in between the "foreground and background?"

I know how to create new layers in Art Rage and was able to find those parameters regarding shadows that you mentioned.

Maybe this will help you you with how I'm stuck. If I just draw a quick sketch of say a ball on a single layer how would I have a background layer and a foreground layer? Do I need to duplicate the layer first before trying to create the shadow?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Dave

Gallery
    View images
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=2661

This tutorial shows you how to add layers.
    In the tip & tricks part of this site you'll find a "tutorial central" showing you all the tutorials about this wonderfull program
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK