ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Time taken to save a large picture

Time taken to save a large picture

I've just started a large picture (12000 x 9000 pixels) and I'm noticing that as the image progresses, the time needed to save is getting longer. MUCH longer. I know it's a big file (currently 717MB) but this is a reasonably fast PC (stats below) and the file is being saved to an SSD. I timed the last save and it took just over seven minutes(!) from the time I pressed Ctrl-S, to the time I got the cursor back. The save was the only operation running, the CPU usage ran at about 50%. Is there anything I can do to speed things up? Exporting the same image as a .jpg took less than one second.

My PC:
    CPU: i5-4670K
    Mobo: Z87-K
    Video: GTX 760 (2GB)
    RAM: 32GB RAM (although I know only the first 4GB is available to 32-bit applications).

interesting

Just a curiosity: do you have many layers in the saved file and at what dpi is set?
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.

my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810

2 layers, 300dpi (which makes it 36" wide, my preferred size)

do you have an antivirus program checking your files that you write on the drive? My antivir does that, so it slows the saving proces a bit.

Hmm, I hadn't considered that. Back in a few minutes...

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it. Perhaps this is just a limitation of the software? I can only add my name to the list of people who want a 64-bit version of Artrage.
    Last edited by Gryshnak; 03-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Amen to that... 64 bit version.One more thing, only the saving takes up much time, or does it happen with strokes too, to be processed slower?

Only the saving is slow, the laying down of brush strokes is smooth and fast (which is one of the reasons I decided not to buy Painter, it became very sluggish working on a file of this size).

Have you used the Fill tool set on "Pattern" mode recently? I ask this, because I know it takes me a long to save .ptg files, when I've loaded a particularly large image as my pattern. It may be worth your while to select the Fill tool and select a small image file for the Pattern (something like a 100x100 pixels) and see if that changes the saving time. Other things that will increase the saving time, aside from the amount of layers as was already mentioned, is the amount of references you have pinned, a tracing image you may have loaded, and perhaps the number of stencils you have active in the background.

Although you are working at a pretty large size and since ArtRage uses 3d light rendering for it's paint, it needs to keep track of a lot more information, per layer, then other art programs do. But if you've worked at that size, in ArtRage, before without any issues, I'd suggest checking out the things I listed above.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

A 64 bit build probably won't make much if any difference to the time taken for layer data to be transferred to a file. Save speed is defined by the amount of data that needs to be dropped to the disk so if you are painting on a large image with lots of data it's going to take longer.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try them out tomorrow