ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Standing Strong

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Prineville Oregon
    Posts
    6,179

    Standing Strong

    was a take on a previous post "Warrior" but left the dominant shape non human but felt it was standing strong in the darkness...thus the title...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standing Strong.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	79792  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,517
    I like the piece -- irrespective of the title and intention. The shape is impossible for me to not have a Rorschach test free-association happening for me. It reminds me of an animal like a cat who is cornered and ready to jump and run giving a threatening screech. When I think of standing strong, I think of sturdy legs, stiff spine, feet planted more like a football lineman or a bull. In my view it looks like the 'front feet' (as I associate) are connected to the ground by a very small pin which would quickly give under pressure (contrary to the weighty connection holding one's ground solidly). But that's if I am going with your title.

    It's a really cool image about relationships, with lots of compliments and contrasts, which I find very interesting to look at and mentally evocative. It's also attractive to look at and has a level of finish that works for me in the sense that it feels thought through and executed as envisioned.

    Good job.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,817
    It could almost be a horse and rider! I love it! Very imposing and mysterious.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Prineville Oregon
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I like the piece -- irrespective of the title and intention. The shape is impossible for me to not have a Rorschach test free-association happening for me. It reminds me of an animal like a cat who is cornered and ready to jump and run giving a threatening screech. When I think of standing strong, I think of sturdy legs, stiff spine, feet planted more like a football lineman or a bull. In my view it looks like the 'front feet' (as I associate) are connected to the ground by a very small pin which would quickly give under pressure (contrary to the weighty connection holding one's ground solidly). But that's if I am going with your title.

    It's a really cool image about relationships, with lots of compliments and contrasts, which I find very interesting to look at and mentally evocative. It's also attractive to look at and has a level of finish that works for me in the sense that it feels thought through and executed as envisioned.

    Good job.
    thanks D Akey it does have that improvisational quality , where one does some free association with it. I wonder what steve will make of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    It could almost be a horse and rider! I love it! Very imposing and mysterious.
    I like that description it accurately describes the piece I think... glad you like it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wilmington North Carolina
    Posts
    7,205
    Gary, I like this a lot, the shape of many colors

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Torino
    Posts
    1,427
    It looks like a bull engraved in a medieval cathedral stained glass (it's all picassy). Nice!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,035
    Gary....
    Like the title, for me its quite simple....
    American buffalo standing proud and strong in the grasslands.
    Again, my first impression and colors usually don't pursaude me
    too much in my initial visual assessment of first seeing a new work
    of art...
    You know me, I see what I see....And I enjoyed seeing this one
    from you!
    Take care friend,
    Steve

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, On., Canada
    Posts
    5,356
    Gary, I also like this and to me is a painting for dreaming or remembering

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Prineville Oregon
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Gary, I like this a lot, the shape of many colors
    thanks Pat, glad you stopped by..

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
    It looks like a bull engraved in a medieval cathedral stained glass (it's all picassy). Nice!
    hmmm yes I see that and so did Steve..
    not bad if it evokes a little Picasso along the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevemawmv View Post
    Gary....
    Like the title, for me its quite simple....
    American buffalo standing proud and strong in the grasslands.
    Again, my first impression and colors usually don't pursaude me
    too much in my initial visual assessment of first seeing a new work
    of art...
    You know me, I see what I see....And I enjoyed seeing this one
    from you!
    Take care friend,
    Steve
    thanks Steve I was wondering what you would make of it. I think the bull or buffalo image is a great association for this piece.

    Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Gary, I also like this and to me is a painting for dreaming or remembering

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    24,113
    Great art, but also an exquisite elegance in this painting, whatever the mean. The darker parts powerfully enhance the light and colorfully elaborated fabric of your dreams!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •