ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: In Over My Head

In Over My Head

This is hard to describe verbally but it is something I'm sure everyone is familiar with...I need to create a video animation showing the path taken from point A to Point B, etc. using a dotted line or wide colored line. Maybe an arrow head advancing along at the front of it. You've seen this kind of thing used to illustrate the route taken on a map for example. I need to do it thru the floor plan of a house.

Not exactly an ArtRage question but I thought there might be away to use AR in some way to do this. I thought someone here might have some suggestions.

Thanks for any assistance.

Maybe duplicate the plan image a few times, advance the arrow on each one, turn them on and off and export each image. Then put them together in sequence as an animation?

I can think a few different ways I'd manage it, but they're all dependent upon the programs I have to work with. As copespeak mentioned, the animation for it (be it an animated gif, swf, or avi) would need to be handled in another program. Which, again, can be handled in a number of ways. All it depends on what programs you have to work with and your knowledge of them. For example, if you have access to Flash (or another program that does animated images) you could do something simple, like this:

...or, if you know a thing or two about Sketchup (there's a free version of it), you could design the layout of the building down to the last inch, from walls to furniture, in a 3D environment and then create scenes which can be used as a track for a walk through, which you could then record using a screen capture program like Camstudio. Such as this:

Video Link
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks copespeak. That is one direction I was looking at.

Someonesane your Flash animation is exactly what I'm going for. Unfortunately I don't have or know how to use Flash. I do have and know SketchUp, the program I built the house model in, but I find it's animation capabilities a bit choppy. It may work better for something like this, seen from overhead, with less geometry to redraw. I am on a Mac and have a screen capture program called Snapz Pro which is very similar to CamStudio. I got an error message saying "this video is private" when I tried to play the Camstudio version you uploaded. Could you possibly try that again? I'd like to see if that runs as smoothly as the Flash example you did.

And thank you very much for taking the time to put together what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I got an error message saying "this video is private" when I tried to play the Camstudio version you uploaded. Could you possibly try that again? I'd like to see if that runs as smoothly as the Flash example you did.
    Whoops, sorry about that. I uploaded the video directly from my video editor into YouTube and which is set to make my videos Private. I've changed it to Public, so you should be able to view it now. Although, it's probably not what you're looking for, after having read you latest post.

Someonesane your Flash animation is exactly what I'm going for. Unfortunately I don't have or know how to use Flash. I do have and know SketchUp, the program I built the house model in, but I find it's animation capabilities a bit choppy. It may work better for something like this, seen from overhead, with less geometry to redraw. I am on a Mac and have a screen capture program called Snapz Pro which is very similar to CamStudio.
    Okay. So you said you needed a "video", right? Would it be alright to skip the animated .gif aspect altogether? Because if you only need an actual video of it, you can do what I did with my Sketchup example, with a few modifications. Where, instead of having the scenes shift your camera angle and walk you through the environment, you'd use them as animation "Cells", where you'd plot out your arrows, hide one, make a scene, hide the next arrow, make a scene, and so on. Then you just start your screen recorder and record yourself progressing through each scene. I've posted an example of this below. I recorded my entire screen this time, so you can see the scene buttons, but you'll want to crop the recording area to include only the image area.

Video Link

Someonesane...I did something similar to your first video. The typical walk thru with the view at about eye level. Didn't have the elevated arrow pathway you included. That was pretty cool! But for the quality I'm looking for I think a lot more video editing and a skill set I don't have right now would be required. Your second suggestion though looks very possible and I think will do exactly what I need.

Again I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this response. Thank you very much.

Again I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this response. Thank you very much.
    Sure, no problem. Do you need any more information on how I did that second video or do you have the idea nailed down?