ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Not sure where to put this post....

Question Not sure where to put this post....

I got ArtRage for my ipad and played with drawing and painting with it over the weekend. Of course I had a million questions but figured some of them out. Yes I looked at the quick start guide a bazillion times. Is there a more in depth manual? I hate coming to a forum every single time I have a question, not only do I fill the forum up with stupid basic questions but I have to wait for answers. Would really like a manual.

On to my current issue. A few weeks ago (before ArtRage download) I made a bunch of sort of doodle drawings of people with a black sharpie. All are now in my computer. Very crips very dark black.

So I emailed a few to myself on my ipad and saved them to my photo roll. Then I opened ArtRage and tried to import them into the program and can't seem to do that. What I ultimately want to do is import them in, create another layer on top of them and just watercolor in a few items on each drawing; the hair, or eyes or an item of clothing.

I don't really see any way to do that. When I "import" a drawing it's either stuck with a pin on the top of my "paper" as a reference or it's a tracing (barely visible). I want it to be a sharp dark black, exactly how it is in the original drawing and the photo of one that I emailed to myself.

Is there some way to do this, I don't want to redraw over 100 drawings?

Thank you for any help.

Susan

Many of the basic questions you have could've already been asked and answered before throughout the forums. If you haven't yet, you could try using Search feature to see if they've already been answered and then you wouldn't need to ask and wait for the answers in a new thread.

As for current question, the most "exact" way of bringing the file into ArtRage is to connect your iPad to your computer and saving the .ptg files directly from your iPads shared folder to your computer. These files keep all of the layers and paint information intact, so opening them in ArtRage on your computer is identical to opening them in the ArtRage app.

However, if you have to rely on the exported saves you get from emailing the image, you should be importing them into your computers version of ArtRage using "Import Image File" option on the File menu. It will import the image into the program as a layer, rather then bringing it in as a tracing or reference image. Though, keep in mind you will be bringing the image in as a flat file, so it'll have a white background (or whatever color you had your canvas set to in the ArtRage app). So unlike using the .ptg method described above, you'll need to either remove the background somehow (be it by filter, magic wand selection, or eraser) or work around it using masks or layer blend modes.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-04-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Not sure where to put this post....

I don't have ArtRage on my computer so your instructions don't really make sense. I just want to import a jpeg, png, whatever into ArtRage on my ipad, I can figure out how to get the graphic into my ipad but when I import it from my photos or an email on my ipad it only traces it or uses it as a reference. How do I avoid that?

I already have it in my photos on the ipad and once saved from Art Rage I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to get it to the computer. I just want to know how to get it into ArtRage so it looks like it does now... a black sharpie doodle so I can paint parts of it? Not as a tracing or a reference.

Is there no option under the layers menu to import an image onto that layer or a new layer? (I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the iPad version, but this would be my guess on how to do it.)

I also found these links, which might be useful to you. The first says they import the tracing image and then convert that to a paint layer. The next one references being able to import an image onto a layer, so I assume it's possible.

http://www.ellifolks.com/blog/tutori...ign-decisions/

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...ort-as-a-layer

Not sure where to put this post....

On the ipad the only option is "import image" When I select the image, my sharpie drawing it appears on the ArtRage paper as a tracing.

Susan

My apologies, I misunderstood what you were looking to do. I thought you were trying to get an image you made on your iPad onto to your computer as a layer. You're looking for the reverse. Here's what you need to do to import an image from your camera roll onto your iPad:

1 - Tap here to open the Layer Panel.
    2 - Tap the menu button on the Layer Panel, to open the Layer Menu.
    3 - Tap the "Import Image" option, from the Layer menu.
    4 - Opt to import the image, rather then import a photo image by tapping "Import Image" again.
    5 - Select where you want to get the image (such as your camera roll).

Here's a visual:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_layer.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	79725
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-04-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

On the ipad you have to import the image first as a tracing image then convert it to paint, you should then be able to put layers on top to do the fill ins. I save my line drawings as a jpg into my camera roll.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ignore my last post, someonesane has given a better answer with screen captures.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/