ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Intuos nibs

Intuos nibs

I'm wondering if anybody has a later model Intuos tablet, mine is a CTH-680. I've had it for almost a month and already need to replace the nib and I have the pressure set way low. My bamboo nly had to have the nib replaced once a year.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I'm wondering if anybody has a later model Intuos tablet, mine is a CTH-680. I've had it for almost a month and already need to replace the nib and I have the pressure set way low. My bamboo nly had to have the nib replaced once a year.
    Having had experience with Bamboo Fun, Intuos 4 & 5 and Cintiq 13HD

Intuos 4 and 5 chews up nibs really fast. Like every couple of days if you use it enough. Be prepared to buy nibs. Lots of people shout about nib use of Intuos 4/5 on the internet.

Only upside is that the Cintiq uses them at about the same speed as the Bamboo, only every few months.

It's a baffling problem - I've used Wacoms for years and nib wear seems to vary hugely dependent on the surface.

As a compromise, I've taken to using adhesive film (like the old 'frisk' film used for airbrushing) and applying this to the painting surface. Obviously it makes it pretty slippy and you lose the sense of tactile feedback but as a result the same nib will probably last for months. If I do need a bit of texture, I'll just briefly use a sheet of paper to give it a bit of grip.

Hope that helps,

Peter

I had an old Graphire 4 that I never had to change the nib for (not even once), throughout the 5 years I used it. So, when I picked up my Intous4 I was concerned when, in the first month, my nib had been used up so quickly. This, after I had already read about other people having issues and had tried to take steps to prevent it. So, I decided if it was going to happen, I'd just use the device as I had my old Graphire and save myself the headache of trying to get used to a different pressure setting. After about another 2 months of use, I realized that I was still using my second nib, though it had been worn down a bit. Eventually, I had to swap the second nib for a third, but I've been using that third nib every since then. From the rate of it's wearing, I'd say I have another year of use from it before I'll need to swap it again. Since my tablet came with 8 extra nibs, I should have about 8 years of use ahead of me.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I've changed the nib on my Intuos 4 once in the year+ I have had it, and I use it a lot. Maybe try lightening the pressure a little??

I have the pressure set as light as possible. I'm not sure what 4 and 5 are but I have this one: http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-m

No, maybe the amount of 'leaning/pressure' you are putting on it to work?

The second and current one seems to holding up much better. Fingers crossed. I discovered that my bamboo and Intuos use the same nib.