ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Messing with markers

Messing with markers

I made this while fooling with markers, if I add more details it will be better. It's of my youngest daughter, btw.
    I didn't take the pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	olivia.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	79676 Name:  olivia markers_cr.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  267.8 KB
    It's not great but it's better than I would have done a year ago.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Your daughter is a knockout with a lot of personality and life in her expression. Difficult to paint for anybody, especially someone close to her who has an emotional charge, as we do with our loved ones. Always daunting for me anyway.

I don't quite know what to say, other than "nice job". At the risk of sounding critical, I'll offer one little tidbit -- lines between the teeth should be subtle lest it take on a too descriptive weight for something not so normally noticeable. It's like if you described a beautiful woman you went out on a first date with and you talk about how she has nice hair, and brown eyes, pleasing features, and heavy lines between her teeth. It rather diminishes the effect of a flattering description as if the comment said her teeth were distracting. The emphasis is pulled where you don't necessarily want it.

You could probably get away with trying to do the lines on a separate layer and then fading the opacity until it begins to look natural. and you can also subtly go in with an eraser and vary the weight. And that's just the linear side of it. But that would perhaps help.

Other than the teeth though, I quite like the softness. Starts to take on a turn of the century graphic quality of a Parisienne model.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Yeah, you're right, I had a time with them. I tried drawing them 4 or 5 times and still couldn't get them right. They look too big to me. It required 4 layers to make them. I had trouble with hair, I feel I have that down, time to draw teeth every night.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Dear mate, Your daughter is such an interesting model and personality, as D Akey perfectly stated, that anyone would like to depict, i think, and I can understand all your efforts to capture her intense, radiant, lively look and expression. You performed well enough this far in Your study, as far as I see. Maybe some specific free manual or tutorial may help You a little with details by suggesting advices, tips and techniques, although I would keep Your effort as free as possible from any mechanical procedure, so as to grasp her magic and your feelings towards her.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!