ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiksand

Quiksand

since it is snowing outside and fairly dismal this is a perfect day for working in the studio and drinking coffee, playing with the dog who keeps wanting to crawl up on my lap as I work.. hope you enjoy this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quicksand.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	446.2 KB 
ID:	79659  

I am caught up in your quicksand Gary, great painting

Here, Pat. . . grab the end of this branch. . .

Yeah, nice stuff. I like the overall. See my other comments on your flower vase. But in this case my initial reaction to the computer process/effect creating black outlines and processing things feels a little analogous to refined bread vs home made. I mean, both are nourishing and functional and appealing on some level, but for me specialty breads with some texture or earthiness hold a special quality that I can well appreciate.

I used to, and still use palettes that I make out of clear acetate sheets. I would put my paints down and after some use they would dry and I could throw them out. However, you could also flip them over to see what the paint dribbles and pools looked like through what amounted to a high gloss sheen that basically made the paints look wet in saturation even though on the other side they were just dry, dull paint, particularly when using acrylics. So my association is not the best when it comes to flat posterized colors, and perhaps less so if a Photoshop filter was used.

But that's just me. Probably everyone else will love it. I still admire your thinking and approach to the placement of things in the images though. Were this hand done looking I would probably love it.

I guess that's the drawback in showing art. So many people with so many opinions and associations.
    Last edited by D Akey; 03-02-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Many victims under such a colorful, treacherous series of craters ... Delightful!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    I am caught up in your quicksand Gary, great painting
    thanks Pat....but don't worry it is not too deep..

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Here, Pat. . . grab the end of this branch. . .

Yeah, nice stuff. I like the overall. See my other comments on your flower vase. But in this case my initial reaction to the computer process/effect creating black outlines and processing things feels a little analogous to refined bread vs home made. I mean, both are nourishing and functional and appealing on some level, but for me specialty breads with some texture or earthiness hold a special quality that I can well appreciate.

I used to, and still use palettes that I make out of clear acetate sheets. I would put my paints down and after some use they would dry and I could throw them out. However, you could also flip them over to see what the paint dribbles and pools looked like through what amounted to a high gloss sheen that basically made the paints look wet in saturation even though on the other side they were just dry, dull paint, particularly when using acrylics. So my association is not the best when it comes to flat posterized colors, and perhaps less so if a Photoshop filter was used.

But that's just me. Probably everyone else will love it. I still admire your thinking and approach to the placement of things in the images though. Were this hand done looking I would probably love it.

I guess that's the drawback in showing art. So many people with so many opinions and associations.
    dear D Akey, it is always useful to me as an artist to get a variety of takes, both positive and lukewarm to my experiments. That is what makes it fun.. I personally like flat poster colors ( appalling I know ) and this little experiments in blending those with a little obvious PS filter with hand textures is a kind of potpourri , a dangerous game to play but luckily no one was injured and it is nice to know there are some that also like the blend..but it is not for everyone to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Many victims under such a colorful, treacherous series of craters ... Delightful!
    yes a treacherous stretch of paint indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I'm with Pat, Gary....
    I love your work.
    Sandy thanks, it is great to have the encouragement of this forum to explore a variety of graphic and painterly expressions...

Mmmm... It could also be an alien golf course Bravo

I know myself when doing an abstract, the placement is essential to the work, and I can visualise you putting your shapes and colours in, pondering, then moving them around, leaving them, or changing parts that don't please.

All up, I absolutely like your work with the title, as always, so I start to look to see what references might be hidden there.

Thanks for warning sign....I would've ventured right into it.
    But there does appears to be objects that one could grab onto, so
    the adventure could be continued...
    Interesting title Gary, sometimes I feel I'm stepping into it on a
    daily basis.... 'Jeezit's', I need to retire and get out of this place!
    Like it....
    Steve

More great shapes and colours and I keep seeing birds