ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Hope

Cape Hope

a loosely interpreted Oregon landscape, an Oregon cape... also a painting of hope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cape Hope.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	516.4 KB 
ID:	79644  

I love Oregon and the coastlines, and hope is a good thing too!
    Just wish people would pick up after themselves, after visiting....
    May have misread this, but like it regardless!
    Have a good weekend
    Gary....
    Steve

Abstractionists oft times are interested in talking about their intentions. What was your visual point in this that brought you to this painting? I have my impressions, but I would be curious what you were driving at, ie, which features of the actual landscape were standing out to you; what was your focus mechanically as an artist (like doing one thing and not another, your selection of colors and shapes and placement and relationship on the canvas etc etc)?

To me as viewer, I'm presently looking for the glue holding it together weighed against that which is forcing a sort of separation of particulates.

And how does that represent your feeling about the landscape itself. But until I hear your intention I can't commit to an opinion other than that it seems like an eruption, which oddly Oregon has known. . . or even the place they call "The Devil's Punchbowl". . .
    Last edited by D Akey; 03-01-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by stevemawmv View Post
    I love Oregon and the coastlines, and hope is a good thing too!
    Just wish people would pick up after themselves, after visiting....
    May have misread this, but like it regardless!
    Have a good weekend
    Gary....
    Steve
    Steve I think you read this well...see below..

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Abstractionists oft times are interested in talking about their intentions. What was your visual point in this that brought you to this painting? I have my impressions, but I would be curious what you were driving at, ie, which features of the actual landscape were standing out to you; what was your focus mechanically as an artist (like doing one thing and not another, your selection of colors and shapes and placement and relationship on the canvas etc etc)?

To me as viewer, I'm presently looking for the glue holding it together weighed against that which is forcing a sort of separation of particulates.

And how does that represent your feeling about the landscape itself. But until I hear your intention I can't commit to an opinion other than that it seems like an eruption, which oddly Oregon has known. . . or even the place they call "The Devil's Punchbowl". . .
    Dear friend boy you never let one skate by ..Actually this is a good thing it forces me to try to verbalize my graphic thought process at least to some degree. I wish I was a bit more talented in describing and writing but I will give it my best shot for you.
    context: for the past few weeks I have been doing a visual practice of seeing the landscapes around and mentally "cutting" out sections and flattening them into abstract patterns. Lately I have taken it a step further and over a time sequence... ( like the course of a drive to work or walking along ) I try to organize them into a "story set" and manipulate the perspectives turning vertical, and horizontals into a 2-d plane changing size and relative importance, and colors.

So when I started this I took remembered visual images of Cape Hope ( actually called Cape Kiwanda ) long black ropes of sea kelp, ocean water, land, ferns, black sticks, gravel, and all the debris that gets wedged into crevices from the Japan tsunami.. all these rich shapes, colors and tried to arrange them somewhat artistically although in this work I feel I kind of lost it a bit ( as in too much ) I needed to settle on one or more aspects but got a log jam instead.

So my intention is not a single thing but multiple rhythms, and emotions around the fragile ocean edges and how we are mucking it up a bit , but there is hope we can be better caretakers, so I switched the name to Cape Hope.... guess that is a bit sentimental but you ask for it...

As an abstract painter I guess I could resort to names like Blue Number 2.... but I have always wanted to leave at least a hint of my intentions, sometime more successfully than others..

I really love this Gary. The colours are so lush, and when you look into it (with your description in mind!) you can see the roll of the hills and blue of the coast. So nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    I really love this Gary. The colours are so lush, and when you look into it (with your description in mind!) you can see the roll of the hills and blue of the coast. So nice.....
    thanks Robyn your appreciation of this means a lot to me !..

Gary, I see so much turmoil and frustration in this painting, but your wonderful colors show hope that things will change, sometimes it is so difficult to explain in words but in your mind you know exactly what you are trying to express, this is a wonderful expression of your feelings and hope for the future....great job

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Gary, I see so much turmoil and frustration in this painting, but your wonderful colors show hope that things will change, sometimes it is so difficult to explain in words but in your mind you know exactly what you are trying to express, this is a wonderful expression of your feelings and hope for the future....great job
    thanks Pat for your continued support and comments.. they definitely bring me a kind of joy knowing that a painting has moved , intrigued , and delighted another.

You're about to evolve towards the informal art. Now You only have to find the way to insert new materials/ media and tricks to somehow leave the canvas wall and complete the process to fully generate the new universe and perspective You evidently own and whose maps You're actually showing us through Your artpieces. Very good
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    You're about to evolve towards the informal art. Now You only have to find the way to insert new materials/ media and tricks to somehow leave the canvas wall and complete the process to fully generate the new universe and perspective You evidently own and whose maps You're actually showing us through Your artpieces. Very good
    you are most gracious in your comments, and encouraging me to follow my artistic instincts.. for that I am very grateful...