ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How does one install a gradient?

How does one install a gradient?

MrPaint collection 4 contains gradients (as .png files). How does one get them in ArtRage as .grd? It appears the import dialogs only look to photoshop gradients as options?

Hello and welcome williamK
    I'm afraid those particular Gradients are just stencils that can be used to paint a gradient "buy hand" as it were and are not, as you noted, actual gradient .grd files.
    You can make a Group for them in your Stencils folder and put them in there where you can then access and use them the same as the other stencils in there.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

If you do want to import or create 'proper' gradients, then you either need to create and save them within ArtRage, or import them as ArtRage or Photoshop gradients.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Photoshop gradients will work?

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    Photoshop gradients will work?
    Sure will. If you select the Menu button on the Settings panel, you'll find the "Load From Disk" option. It'll let you import a single gradient for use, if you don't happen to want to actually import the gradient for future use. If you'd like to add a series of PS gradients into your ArtRage collection, just follow the steps in the image below (Note: On step six, I only have a single gradient shown as being selected. To import all three of them, I'd need to check mark them all before clicking "ok"):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradientimport.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	79812
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Well bust my buttons! I didn't know that. I hope someday AR will be able to import Gimp brushes and gradients. Thanks, I have tons of gradients both PS and Gimp.

Does gimp read PS gradients? You may be able to make Gimps gradients into PS gradients, which could then be brought into ArtRage.

Gimp can use PS brushes but not gradients.

Painting with gradients

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a paintbrush and gradients together to paint?

Quote Originally Posted by koalablue View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use a paintbrush and gradients together to paint?
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking for... Is it that you're looking for a way to use the gradient area as a means to mask off where you can paint (assuming that parts of the gradient are transparent; meaning there wouldn't be paint there)? If so, then yes. You just need to lay out the gradient on a new layer and then select it by going to Edit → Select Layer Contents. This will make a selection of the paint filled areas. Then you can paint over that selection on a new layer, with whichever tools you'd like.