ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Down the Hill

Down the Hill

This painting has been created entirely with the AR4 freehand selection tool and painting-in with the oil brush on many layers (at least 20), a lot of time but a very interesting learning project. The subject is based on my coloured pencil sketch in Farnham Park, Surrey, last summer, looking down from the Castle to Farnham Town. I have included my original thumbnail sketch for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR_Down the Hill_Farnham Park v3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	334.4 KB 
ID:	79628  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All very cool I dare say. Not meaning anything about your translation from a quick thumbnail to a more rendered work per say, but when I was doing a lot of painting, I would do thumbnails and NEVER would the finish come anywhere near to that elusive quality that I got in the sketch. I'm not the only one I know who experienced that.

But I really like your watercolor sketch. The bigger more opaque one is good too, but I have a thing for quick comps. Maybe it's because they are less finished that the mind takes it the rest of the way and personalizes it to the viewer -- that is unless they aren't artists who can run with the sketch and finish it in their mind.

Glad you're enjoying the program.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

a nice little thumbnail sketch you did, I like this painting , don't you love layers and the way AR emulates thick paint brush marks.. it does it so well... be sure to experiment with some of the canvas's that JUZ provides in the Art Materials section... there is a treasure trove in that section of the site..

Thanks D Akey for your thoughtful comments on my lastest work, much of which I agree.No doubt you will have experienced what I call that 'magic moment' when you realise that you have lost your best effort.Knowing when to stop consistently would probably make us all better artists.

Quote Originally Posted by howdoo View Post
    Thanks D Akey for your thoughtful comments on my lastest work, much of which I agree.No doubt you will have experienced what I call that 'magic moment' when you realise that you have lost your best effort.Knowing when to stop consistently would probably make us all better artists.
    Haha. Too true, at least with traditional. On the other hand. . . saving versions, we can always still push forward with confidence knowing we can go back to the last save or farther. That's the other kind of magic moment -- the moment where you go "PHEW! Glad I saved that then." At least it's worked for me that way when I switched to digital.

Before with traditional when I was an illustrator and had to make changes based on the client all the time, some changes spawned from the absurdity that only the ignorant can come up with. . . in those cases my magic moment was when I got my pay check and my next job. Being other people's wrist rather desensitizes you.

But there was a whole time period where I had the luxury of doing thumbnails and had only myself to answer to. And that's where I developed my taste for those little quick gems. And I do quite like yours.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

A real touch of summer, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

The England I love

Picturesque and beautiful. Lovely picture.

Looks great to me, lots of depth. Seems to be some experimentation in styles, some work better than others.
    looks like promising work from a real painter.

I like this, I think you did a great job from you thumbnail sketch