ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Portrait

Self Portrait

I spent the day messing around with Art Rage and my new Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and did a self-portrait.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	self2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	79602

A few things about this picture. It was done from a photograph taken out in the back yard. I did use the trace function for some of it, which was sort of what I was trying to learn about anyway. And I used the reference pic. And I did the thing in color, and then used Photoshop to first remove the color and then colorize it. Finally, the background is pure Photoshop, I only did the part that's me.

So it's more or less an exercise. But I did learn quite a bit about various Art Rage functions and maybe a few things about light and shading while I did it. So I guess I gained some ground by doing it.

Anyway, everybody who's seen it likes it and says it's a good likeness of me, so I guess it will do for a learning exercise.

Hi Oubaas looks great a liked the flying machine as well do U think it would make a Channel Crossing SLAINTE

Well, eighty+, she'd get across the channel pretty quick, but the A-7 is the wrong aircraft for that. To do it in style, you need a Hawker Hurricane or a Supermarine Spitfire, or if you're in a big hurry maybe an English Electric Lightning.

You are doing such beautiful work Oubaas. It's a great portrait.

Don't be ashamed about using the trace function to get a good likeness, artists have been doing that for hundreds of years from grids, projectors, right back to Vermeer and even earlier with the 'camera obscura' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura).

Getting a few guide lines in gives you time to polish other skills.

Of course, having a good sketch/paint of something in front of you, or from your imagination, gives you lessons in proportion and tonal perception. Art Rage is a bottomless pit of learning how to get the effects you want, so just go for it in any way you want.

very nice work, I also use Art Rage and Photoshop going back and forth with the image until I get what I want.. like having multiple types of paint and brushes handy. You did a great job on this and I like the sense of bright sunlight and more or less a black and white image..

Hello Oubaas,
    Well, this shows me you had a hell of a good time "messing around" today....
    It turned out great, you should be happy with the results!
    Good job!
    Take care,
    Steve

7. Really nice, especially for a second go around (I'm assuming this was right after your plane painting?). I don't see an issue with using the trace tool at all - as long as you're honest about it, which you clearly are. If it helps you learn then it's an important tool.

One thing to note though - you can't do the automatic cloudy background in ArtRage to my knowledge (or maybe you can and I've just not seen it), but you can colorize your paintings in this way - just in case you want to cut out a step next time around.

Hey, that which works for you must in fact work. Take the win. It looks great! You have the eye and that's what matters most. Bravo!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Great! You found a process, an interesting style and You got a finely luminous outcome. Strike! Welcome in here.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

wow ! you are an handsome cowboy !
    Soul is at the center of the circle of art