ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Attempt with ArtRage

First Attempt with ArtRage

I bought ArtRage about a week ago, as it looked like fun and I figured it was a bargain for fifty bucks. It is.

I'm retired military, having been disabled in the line of duty, so I have a lot of time on my hands. I thought I'd try learning something about art as a new hobby. I bought ArtRage and messed around with the brushes and things for a week or so, then decided today to try producing something painting-like. So here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	special_delivery.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	79559

That's a painting of me executing a low level bombing run on a North Vietnamese runway. Please bear in mind that it's my first effort at creating anything art-like with ArtRage. I feel that I captured some of the motion and energy of the event. I do hope to get better at this as time goes on. But I'm having fun, and that was sort of the main point when I jumped in.

Thanks for looking.

Wow, welcome to you! What a great angle for your painting, and so well done. Enjoy Art Rage, it is totally time consuming, entrancing and addictive, and perfect for someone filling in their days productively.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Welcome Oubaas,
    Firstly, thank you for your service....
    And I've got to say...Outstanding first attempt, you nailed the motion and energy!
    You did a Great job on the SLUF....
    Keep painting and have fun with it!
    Take care,
    Steve

Check out StratoArt, great flight painter as well.
    Recent:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...Feb-18)/page19
    Workshop:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...avorite-models
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 02-25-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Welcome to the forum....your decision to invest in ARtrage was wise. Your experience in the military and investigating in art related to the military should give you a firm foundation for future artworks. Have fun in your new endeavors with this incredibly creative medium. Need any help just holler, we are here to help and encourage.................TJ

5. A very well executed painting of the A-7(?). You were the pilot? Very impressive - both your flying skills and the painting. I look forward to seeing more (of your paintings). Welcome aboard!

Fantastic painting with confident brushstrokes! You'd better check the engine because exhaust gases are quite smokey ... LOL Welcome!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thats a brilliant startm welcome to th forums
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

To produce a dramatic first painting like this is to be applauded. The subject is a real challenge in perspective and depth of field which has been done well. I do like the broad brush strokes which give a great sense of movement. Looking forward to your next one.

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. I guess if Steve recognized it as a SLUF, I'm headed in the right direction.

For those of you who are not familiar with the almost obsessive use of acronyms, official and unofficial, in the U. S. armed forces, "SLUF" is an unofficial acronym, the polite version of which is, "Short Little Ugly Fellow". It's one of the nicknames for the LTV/Vought A-7 Corsair II.

As for HarlequiNQB's question, yes and no. That picture was done from a reference picture from a simulator run. So yes, I was the pilot, but no, it does not depict an actual event from real life. My first real life squadron flew the A-7A and eventually transitioned to the A-7E, which was a totally new platform with a different, more powerful engine and updated avionics. So I'm rather fond of the SLUF.

As for the pursuit of digital art, I'm working with a number of books meant for non-digital artists, and learning quite a few things. I bought a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (large) that I'm learning about, and also picked up the airbrush accessory for the tablet. Right now I'm reading and practicing from a book originally published in 1947, "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis. Waiting in the wings I have "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head" by William L. Maughan, "Color and Light; A Guide for the Realist Painter" by James Gurney, "The Art of Airbrushing" by Giorgio Uccellini, and "Airbrushing Techniques Step-by-step" by Roland Kuck. I also have a number of drawing and painting books, and a couple of art history books that I've collected over the years that I hope to eventually, finally work through in an effort to learn more. The art history books are already very well thumbed, but I'm hoping to finally work on trying to produce similar results to some of the works.

While obviously the techniques from a paint and canvas book don't translate directly to digital art in many cases, I have found that if I use a little imagination I can make the transition and produce something quite like in most cases. I find that simply playing around with brushes and tools in my various art software makes me much more aware of how to translate techniques.

While I have a number of different art programs on my computer, the one to which I keep returning is Art Rage. There's something very compelling about this particular software that feels comfortable and welcoming. It feels much more intuitive than the other programs and I seem to find what I want with greater ease. And I like the results better than anything else as well.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Welcome, and a great start