ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranparent canvas on the iPad1 for ArtRage 3 -- simple, right?

Question Tranparent canvas on the iPad1 for ArtRage 3 -- simple, right?

Not so simple for me, a beginner at this. I simply want something transparent for my website, and am having quit e a bit of trouble. I am using a first generation iPad, and have installed ArtRage3.

I simply want to draw the name of my website on the canvas, and export it via email, with the canvas being transparent, so I can add it to the header of my website. I can't seem to find the proper setting for this. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much. - Rob

There isn't a way to do transparent canvases in the iPad version currently. The canvas itself is in the background so a PTG file could be edited in the desktop version to remove the canvas opacity without damaging anything but it can't be done directly on the iPad.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    There isn't a way to do transparent canvases in the iPad version currently. The canvas itself is in the background so a PTG file could be edited in the desktop version to remove the canvas opacity without damaging anything but it can't be done directly on the iPad.
    Thanks, Matt. OK, I've downloaded it to my desktop as a PTG file. Now, what do I need to separate the layers, and make invisible the canvas layer?

I have a Mac desktop, and iPhoto doesn't recognize the PTG file. I'm assuming I need some kind of third party software/app? Thanks again.

ArtRage PTG files contain a lot of data standard image readers don't understand such as the volume and wetness of the paint and, relevant here, a virtual canvas layer. To edit that data you need to use ArtRage on your desktop computer, in which you can set the canvas opacity of the PTG to 0% to remove the background.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Got it. Installing ArtRage for my desktop doesn't allow me to draw though, since my monitors are not touch screens, correct? The purpose of having ArtRage on the desktop is to handle tasks such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by robgee9 View Post
    Got it. Installing ArtRage for my desktop doesn't allow me to draw though, since my monitors are not touch screens, correct? The purpose of having ArtRage on the desktop is to handle tasks such as this?

Most people with desktop versions use it with a graphics tablet -You can paint with a mouse, but not very easily. It's the difference between a finger and a pressure sensitive iPad stylus.

I've noticed there's a fair bit of confusion over this as the iPad app has become popular: the iPad version is a based on the original ArtRage 3 desktop version. It is actually a much more powerful application than the iPad app, and if I'd have to choose, I'd pick the desktop to paint with. It has a lot more tools, the ability to handle much larger canvases, and just a lot more options in general.

If you aren't going to use it to paint with, you can actually still use it for a lot of basic image editing, though it wouldn't be worth installing just for that as there are several other programs that can do the same things. If you need to further edit and improve your iPad drawings, though, then it's exactly what you need.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thank you Hannah. I think I will purchase ArtRage4 for my desktop, but I 'm still not quite clear if it will allow me to create transparent titles. I
    simply want to hand draw some titles, in white, and save them, with a transparent canvas, so that I can import them as a single-layer jpeg to the header on my website. The header is green, and obviously I want the white titles to simply be that -- individual hand-drawn letters over the green header background -- and not in a box.

Will this be possible? Thanks so much again. - Rob

JPEG is a flat format that doesn't support transparency but the desktop version also allows you to export PNG format files which do support it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

OK, so I can create a transparent PNG file on my desktop ArtRage, export as a PNG, and then is it possible to change the PNG to a JPEG, while keeping the transparency, since it's for WordPress site?

Unfortunately that's not possible as the jpg image format doesn't support transparency. In order to have a transparent image, you would need to use a format which supports this like png. I would imagine that your website should support png images, but you could test it out by exporting a png image from the iPad version then attempting to add it to your website. While that wouldn't demonstrate any transparency, it would give you an idea of whether you could upload the png to your site the way you have it set up currently.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design