ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Selecting more than one layer at a time

Selecting more than one layer at a time

I want to put several layers in a group, but I don't want to have to drag each individual layer one by one into the group. Is there a way to select multiple layers at the same time and then drag them into a group?

Unfortunately, no. I don't know about everyone else, but it's definitely been on my wish list. Hopefully we'll see it added in a future release.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Such a pain and one of the most important options in layers. I want to move a whole bunch of parts that make up an object down the page; instead I have to "merge layer down" a number of times. Very primitive. Even if it was possible to group the 3 layers I need to move, that'd still be better than nothing.

Has this been sorted yet? Or am I missing something? It's a must-have.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Sorry to say it, but no. We're still stuck having to move every layer individually. You can group layers, but to do that you still need to move each layer, one at a time, into the group (unless they were created within the group to begin with). I understand that adding the feature would probably bring with it a large amount of issues that casual users wouldn't think of as non-programmers. Still, being able to move multiple layers at a time is such a program standard nowadays, it really does seem like a hindrance when it's not available. It's kind of like not having wipers on a car. Sure I can drive the car most of the time, but when the rain comes, not having them becomes problematic. So, sure I can make do, but when I know I could moving at full gear... Yeah. Could really use that option.

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Such a pain and one of the most important options in layers. I want to move a whole bunch of parts that make up an object down the page; instead I have to "merge layer down" a number of times. Very primitive. Even if it was possible to group the 3 layers I need to move, that'd still be better than nothing.

But you can group your layers into a folder and move them en masse. At least you can in 4.5

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    But you can group your layers into a folder and move them en masse. At least you can in 4.5
    Right, but as I mentioned in my previous post, grouping defeats the purpose when one is looking for a quick method of manipulating a number of layers, because you're still forced to handle each individual layer in order to get them into that group. There is little difference between having to move each layer to where we want them and moving each layer into a group, except grouping them actually then takes and addition move, because then the grouped layers must be dragged to the proper location. If I have ten or more layers I'd like to move, it'd be far quicker were I able to just highlight the various layers and then pull the last of them to where they belong and then have the program carry the others along with it (be it another location within the layer stack or within a group in the layer stack).