ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: File Size Of Paintings

File Size Of Paintings

Hello ArtRage Community!

I'm new to this, it looks great.
    Before I start painting with this app, I'd like to know how to make the file size of the painting as large as possible.
    I made a terrible mistake of doing a whole series of digital paintings with the MS Paint program without knowing how to make the files as large as possible, and now they are too small and cannot be blown up large enough to print onto canvas.
    I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Benjamin L.M.

When you're ready to start a new painting, open ArtRage, select "File" and select "New Painting". The "New Painting" panel will open, which will allow you to change the size of your canvas using either a screen size or a print size as your basis. Since you're looking to print the images, I'd recommend you select the "Print Size" option and make your changes there. You may also choose the type of canvas (texture, color, etc) you use here. Here's a visual of what you're looking for:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvas size.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	79452
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this I'm afraid. It all depends on what the final product is going to be.
    This site here, which forum member Henry Stahle also linked to a few days ago on the forum I belive, contains much useful information on bringing digital works into the physical world: http://www.tutortanith.com/index.htm
    With regard to AR, the default canvas you get on screen after launching is only at 72dpi, fine for a computer screen but not much else. I would recommend to always start a new painting by going to File > New Painting. And when the setup window opens click on the 'Print Size' tab first and then start setting up your canvas. For the dpi something between 200 and 300 will generally be good for printing. But specifics, as I say, will depend on what the end product is to be.
    Expect to do some experimenting and expect to have some failures.
    But have fun!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Cool

Thanks so much for your help.

Sorry for late reply, I've only just cleared my business off so I can now start creating with ArtRage.

Thank you!

Benjamin L.M.

www.benjaminlm.com