ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Critique and Hair problems...

Critique and Hair problems...

Hi. I'm painting this, for a friend. And it is also, much needed, practice for me. Any suggestions on the hair, other suggestions are welcome too :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CecilieHair.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	79446

beautiful portrait! you might try some very light brown thin pencil strokes in the hair to give the illusion of individual hairs. it looks good to me though. usually hair has a dark shadow layer then a midtone layer and then a light tone. lastly the highlight or very lightest near white. looks like you have achieved the highlighted hair pretty well, but I would go toward an almost white tone of yellow. use pencil set to about 19 or 20 % size. just keep working between using the tan sort of lines for midtone and the very pale yellow almost white pencil lines for highlights. I also sprayed with the airbrush some of that light pale yellow almost white for highlights across her bangs. you get the idea... just using that pale almost white yellow for the brightest highlights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light hair.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	435.6 KB 
ID:	79772  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-07-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks for the very informative comment

you're very welcome. hope your friend liked it. It's a great portrait.

Your portrait is gorgeous and screenprinter's suggestions are spot on. the only thing I would add is the large area of black/ dark tone under the back of her neck is causing an extreme value contrast with her wisps of blond hair. This leads the eye.s focus straight to that area. Maybe you could lighten the dark tone and darken the hair wisps a tone to balance the contrast somewhat.

Alison