ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Milk Jug

Talking Milk Jug

Hi all, this is a milk jug done in pencil crayon and oils, just curious to see what people think of the style, colours etc. feel free to be as critical as you like! I'm not easily offended!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	79331  

I think it is fascinating

It has a fresh print like quality. Nice experimenting .

I won't be offending you, I think it's bright, beautiful and I like the white coming through very much.

4. Oh, I like this. It's got a lot of texture to it, which I think really works well. Reminds me a little of a screen print.

I'm not sure how I feel about the style. It's not exactly got a 'wow' factor for me, though I don't think this kind of subject would call to that. Were you thinking Kitchen Art, as opposed to Kitch? It has a sort of domestic feel like a collector might like along with displayed plates from vacations. The souvenir pitcher sets a connotation right off the bat.

Here's where it feels like it's falling down a little (for me): I don't know if polka dots warrant that level of dominance over the painting because they appear at odds with that nicely painted pitcher and are pulling the eye in a self-conscious way. Were you going for POP Art?

As to the sort of worn fabric look overall, as a choice for a patina, it doesn't really add to the picture. I assume you're trying to go for an 'old' or antique feel? What it looks like to me as something to compare it to: You know those couples who dress up as Raggedy Ann and Andy or people trying to affect a rural rancher or farmer look for a stage play, where mom takes the pinking shears to the hem of the brand new jeans in an attempt to make it look worn. This has that kind of quick effect feel to me.

I can see you really know how to paint. And this is an intriguing experiment. There's nothing wrong with your artistic ability. I think if you're trying to find a look, you may want to push one way or the other where something dominates and you create something of a visual hierarchy. The Polka dots, the worn patina, and the pitcher are all competing like several people talking at once.

And I really hope this was not insulting.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Wink

Hi d akey, not offended at all. I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion. You think I can paint, that's a big boost to me so thanks! This was totally experimental and I didn't set out to do anything in particular. I must admit the I like the fake antique effect but agree it is fake. Must be the graphic designer in me coming out! I did this after a I tried a completely failed attempt with oils, so just forged on ahead to get it. Finished and not be defeated. I didn't post this for praise but rather genuine honest feedback as I'm trying to find my way back into painting slowly and this forum seems like a great place to discuss things. Thanks to other posters too for your kind comments!