ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage 4 stops responding when Auto-Check for updates are run at startup.

ArtRage 4 stops responding when Auto-Check for updates are run at startup.

I recently bought Art Rage 4 and the problem I am having is that when i try to run the program, I can't do anything. Then the screen tells me it runs a check for updates and then nothing more happens. I try to click either button that appears (Cancel and Check now...) and windows tells me the program stopped responding and asks me to close it.

Any idea what the issue might be?

I'm using Windows 7 Pro with a Wacom Cintiq 22" btw.

Sorry to hear about the problem. We've heard of this happening a few times recently and it appears to be due to a bad driver for the graphics tablet. Could you do the following:

1. Go the control panel and in the Wacom section (either 'Pen Tablet' or a specific 'Wacom' control panel item) find out the driver version you have from the About seciton and let us know.

2. Uninstall your Wacom tablet drivers and reboot your computer. Rebooting is important, it clears out any old driver files that might otherwise not be replaced when updating.

3. Download the latest drivers for your tablet from Wacom.

4. Install the latest drivers and see if that helps.

If it does help, please let us know - We've been trying to track down what's happening here and are currently talking with Wacom so any details could be really handy. If it doesn't help, we can do some specific troubleshooting to find out what's going on for you.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi again, thanks for the fast response. I uninstalled the drivers for the wacom and rebooted. That seemed to have helped. If the problem comes back, I now know what is causing it at least.

If you haven't installed the latest drivers from Wacom's site then you may not get pressure support. Do you remember what version the old drivers were? We're trying to find out which version is causing the problem you described.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Well, I just checked up on the current drivers and they are quite old (2012-11-15, version 2.0.2.6). So I probably should update them. Though the pen pressure did work fine when I tested ArtRage out. The previous drivers file date on the page were from 2013-11-11 iirc. I got them from the Wacom website this christmas and they haven't updated since december 10th so they should still be the same. I'll install them and see if the issues return.

Yes, they are indeed showing the same version numbers and dates (Date 2013-11-11 and version number 3.0.1.6). What is curious is that the dates and version number of the installed drivers doesn't at all match up with the dates and versions of the driver download package from Wacom's site.

EDIT: Ok, reboot completed with the latest Cintiq drivers from Wacom, and the crash is back in Artrage 4. So I'd say it's fairly safe to say that the driver package for Cintiq tablets they got on their drivers downlad page: (can't paste urls because of forum spam protection regulations) ... is not working (well) with ArtRage 4. But alas, this could just be due to some odd configuration with my system and they could work just dandy for most other people. In the meantime however, I'll look for a slightly older version of the drivers to tide me over until this issue is resolved (by either Wacom releasing new drivers or ArtRage being patched).
    Last edited by kristus; 02-12-2014 at 04:19 AM.