ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters added but now artrage will not open.

Filters added but now artrage will not open.

Hello,

So, I am using art rage pro 3.8 or 3.0.8 I can't remember(can't open the program to check)
    I am on a hackintosh running osx 10.8.5

I have spent the morning searching the internet for instructions on how to install filters and only came across instructions to install photoshop filters. I downloaded perspective filters from this forum. Followed the photoshop instructions and now art rage will not even open.

So, when it told me to 'add additional plug in folder' I tried this and Artrage said it would scan folders for compatible filters. I understood it to mean I could add my download folder and Artrage would do a search and find the filters. Apparently not, and now it will not even open!

Hopefully I have supplied all the required info to clarify my problem and that someone can help?
    Last edited by asoftmachine; 02-10-2014 at 02:27 AM. Reason: I made a language error

Hello asoftmachine
    To find out which version of AR Pro you have, right click on its icon in the Applications folder and from the popup menu select 'Get Info', this will tell you about the app including what version it is.
    The latest version of AR Pro is 10.5.11 install that and see if it launches.
    If you could point us to the exact filters on this forum you downloaded and which set of instructions you followed that might also help in determining what may have gone wrong.

As for Phot Shop filters in general, it is entirely possible that they will not work for you. Though you having made a Hackintosh dose introduce another variable to this.
    So far, I know of only one AR user that has working filters on a Mac.
    See here: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...554#post460554
    I sent a bug report to Ambient Design about this some time back and as far as I know it remains unresolved.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello asoftmachine
    To find out which version of AR Pro you have, right click on its icon in the Applications folder and from the popup menu select 'Get Info', this will tell you about the app including what version it is.
    Hey markw thanks for replying. My version is 3.0.8

The latest version of AR Pro is 10.5.11 install that and see if it launches.
    I currently have no credit card and therefore cannot buy the newer version right now.

If you could point us to the exact filters on this forum you downloaded and which set of instructions you followed that might also help in determining what may have gone wrong.
    In order to direct you to the filters I would need to link and as a new member I cannot link anything (I tried it when I originally posted).

As for Phot Shop filters in general, it is entirely possible that they will not work for you.
    I actually thought the filters would be art rage filters as they are from this forum and from a senior member called Someonesane (perspective filters).

Though you having made a Hackintosh dose introduce another variable to this.
    Oh really? The program worked just fine before I tried to install filters. I actually think I may have done something wrong while trying to install the filters.

I tried uninstalling artrage and then reinstalling but no change, still will not even launch. Seems to hang while it is 'scanning filters' during start up and then I get the artrage quit unexpectedly pop up. This is well frustrating I was in the middle of some work and just thought a perspective grid would be very helpful for some background painting….

Hi there
    First sorry I put a typo in my post! The latest AR Pro is not 10.5.11 ignore that!
    The latest version of ArtRage Studio Pro is 3.5.11
    Go to your member account where you registered you copy and see what the latest update for your version is and download that.
    It may be 3.5.11. But I don't know if 3.5 counted as an update to 3.0 and therefore free or if 3.5 was an Upgrade which would be paid.

Before relaunching did you delete AR's Preferences file/s?
    If one of them is corrupt that might be the cause. Look in: Home folder/Library/Preferences for: com.AmbientDesign.ArtRageSudioPro.plist and any others starting com.AmbientDesign…
    If you can't see the Library folder in your Home folder, you may have to click on 'Go' in the finder menu bar whilst holding down the Option key to access the Library
    (As always with these things don't just delete them but move them to some place safe, like the Desktop, just in case you want to put them back.)

I will see if I can find the filters you mentioned…

Not having much luck searching the forum for the filters...
    Can you give us a clue? You don't need to use an actual link but say which forum section e.g "Technical" etc..., topic title, post number.
    Last edited by markw; 02-10-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Right, I was feeling really behind with my art rage version… even looked it up and couldn't find so high a version.

Anyway, I have not found those files you instructed me to remove so I guess that's not the problem. I seriously think I made a mistake when I was supposed to find the filters for art rage and instead gave the download folder…but could that cause the launch problem? It always 'crashes' (maybe not the correct term?) when it is 'scanning filters' during launch.

I have checked into the package contents and looked into the filters folder which is empty. It was also empty before while the program was still launching for me.

Not having much luck searching the forum for the filters...
    Can you give us a clue? You don't need to use an actual link but say which forum section e.g "Technical" etc..., topic title, post number.
    okay so it was in 'Technical' > 'Art supplies' > 'Comic book Odds and Ends' and the poster's name is 'Someonesane' That should help or?

Found them. Well they are not filters but a Sticker sheet and the Preset file for it.
    Somonesane posted this video on installing/using them further on in the thread. Was this the instructions you followed?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNqe...ature=youtu.be

Are you sure there are no .plist files in the preferences folder relating to ArtRage? Normally all apps generate them when they first launch and any preferences you make when using an app are stored in these .plist files.
    I certainly have them for my copy of Studio Pro.
    Did you use the search field, top right of the Finder window, there are a lot of files in the Preferences folder so just eyeballing it you may have missed them.

Another possibility then might be to look here: Home folder/Library/Application Support/Ambient Design, in which I have a folder named Artrage 3. In that are two files ending in .prs
    If I delete them and then launch AR3.5 everything gets reset to its defaults.
    Can you find any similar files?
    Last edited by markw; 02-10-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:

Crashing when scanning the filters folder should only happen if there is specifically a filter in there that is causing a problem when it's asked for details on what it supports. If you've set your downloads folder as a source of Filters that shouldn't be a problem so let's try a simple fix before looking at a slightly harder one.

First up: Go to the Downloads folder and remove any filters in there. Then try launching ArtRage. If it works, go to the Preferences panel and remove the downloads folder from the filter folders list. Storing your filters in a specific folder set aside for them is generally a good idea, the downloads folder may contain a range of different things that could look like filters and potentially cause issues.

If removing the filters from the downloads folder doesn't work then you can delete the ArtRage preferences file ('ArtRage.prs'). If Spotlight can't find that file then you can locate it manually. It's normally located in the user Library under Application Support / Ambient Design / ArtRage 3 (in the case of ArtRage Studio or Pro). Getting to the Library differs depending on the version of OS X you're using. The easiest way is probably go to the Finder and open the Go menu. If that menu contains a Library entry, click that. If it doesn't, with the menu open hold down the Option key on your keyboard and that should make the Library item appear in the menu.

When you've removed ArtRage.prs the application preferences will be clean and you should be able to start it up.

When you have it running again, if you want to add those filters open up ArtRage and in the Tools menu open the User Content menu and from there select Open ArtRage Filters Folder. This opens up a folder specifically set aside for adding filters to. It's located in your Application Support folder again. Drag the filters to there then, without closing the folder, restart ArtRage. If it doesn't start, you can try removing the filters and adding them one at a time. If one specific filter is causing a problem you'll know which one it was when the application fails to restart.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I checked again and still nothing in the preferences folder, also in application support there is no ambientdesign folder nor anything with a name like it… the video instruction on how to use the stickers is for using them when they are already installed. I searched through this forum and on the web to find out how to install the 'stickers' but found only a couple of different web pages explaining how to install photoshop filters… guess I real screwed this up huh?

So, I followed the instructions of MattRage and can now launch Artrage, sehr gut! I have also installed the 'stickers' (sorry about the terminology mix up) into the stickers folder by following again MattRage's Filter instructions and it looks like they just don't work. Yes I did restart Artrage after installing them.

Is there another way to get a straight grid and perspective grid into Artrage?

MattRage thank you for your help I have been most of the day without painting digitally! And markw I thank you also for stepping up to the challenge!