ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE - new symmetry option

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE - new symmetry option

Love the software!

Would you please add an option to the paint symmetry tool that allows for the symmetry on just one side to be flipped in the opposite direction. It would be very helpful for creating scrollable backgrounds for, say, animation. I have attached an example of what I mean:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage suggest.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	79246  

Painting in parallel, you mean? (as opposed to mirror or rotate). I've asked for this myself (no word on whether it's coming, I'm afraid).

You can actually use the Clone Tool to get the same effect in the meantime, although you'd have to repeat it for every section.

Make sure Relative Offset is ON, with high opacity/hardness and a large brush size, for the quickest copying.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Smile Workable

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Painting in parallel, you mean? (as opposed to mirror or rotate). I've asked for this myself (no word on whether it's coming, I'm afraid).

You can actually use the Clone Tool to get the same effect in the meantime, although you'd have to repeat it for every section.

Make sure Relative Offset is ON, with high opacity/hardness and a large brush size, for the quickest copying.

While not as instantaneous, that is a workable option. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably be using it unless (fingers crossed) it should be implemented in a future update. Thanks again!

I normally just paint the scene as I would any other (roughly keeping the edges close to where they should line up). When I'm done, I duplicate the layer twice (so I have three in total, allowing me to keep the original, just in case I need it later) and then offset one to left, and then match the edge of the second directly along the edge of the first (it's important not to overlap them). Then I blend the seam, so that it makes sense.

Here's a link to a video showing what I mean: Video Example

And here's an example of the same type of tiles in use: Scrolling Tile Test

○ Just place your mouse over the image. The closer the cursor is to the right of the image, the faster the terrain will shift to the left. The closer the cursor is to the left of the image, the faster the terrain will shift to the right. Putting the cursor in the center of the image, will stop the terrain movement (but the sky will continue to drift slightly).

○ And sorry for the advertisements. It's the only place I have available for uploading a .swf file that doesn't mess up the scaling.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 02-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.