ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: RAM is to low to create a huge picture

RAM is to low to create a huge picture

Hi everybody,

like the headline says. My Ram is to low to create a Picture 50cm*50cm with 600 dpi.
    Are there any hints or trix to create and work with such a huge picture anyway? (gimp manged it after i changend some settings)

I run Artrage on my desktop Pc wich got:

Windows 7 64bit Pro
    8GB Ram
    Intel i7-2600k CPU 3,7 GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 TI

My Arterage version is 3.5.11 (full version)

I hope you can help me.

Hello and welcome to the Artrage forums Hatis
    Looking at your system specs you've given there and the size image you are trying for, it should be within your systems capabilities.
    I've certainly generated canvases bigger than that. See this thread: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...670#post460670
    AR is a 32bit app so it shouldn't use more than 4GB of RAM.
    Have you tried restarting your computer to clear out any other apps that may be hogging RAM?

On a side note, unless you have to have 600dpi you could work at 300 at that size (or larger) and you will find AR more responsive to work with and still get good print quality.
    In general high dpi+large canvas+large brushes, (most noticeably the watercolour brush) and it can be like painting with treacle at times!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Hi Markw,

Thanks for your fast anwser.

I tried to restart my Pc and I also tried to start my pc in Safe Mode to gain as much Ram space as even possible.
    at last it didnt worked at all...

the funny thing is with gimp i was able to create a picture with this size. But in gimp I can't paint properly.

You are sure there are't any setting changes to fix this problem?

thanks for your help anyway

regards
    Hatis

No, I've not had to do any special setup with settings in AR or on the Mac. I just set up the canvas the same as any other new painting.
    In AR's Preferences I do have Multi Threading turned ON. With it off it still works but just takes a bit longer for AR to construct the canvas.

Apart from the 600dpi, I don't think a half meter canvas is excessively large and my system can do it.
    So I'm wondering if maybe its an OS related problem? I see your on Windows and the person in that other thread was too, where as I'm on Mac. But in truth I don't see why that should matter.
    See if you can open this pre made canvas. It's the same size you were trying for 50x50@600dpi: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...600dpiTEST.zip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 14.34.41.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	79213
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I have very similar specs (Windows 7 etc) and was able to open and paint with no major problems.

Are you unable to create it at all, or just to work with it? What happens when you choose that canvas size?

For general tips, lag definitely creeps in at that size. Best thing is to keep the number of layers to an absolute minimum (merge them as you work or create sections outside of the main painting and import them in), use tools like Transform, Watercolour and the soft palette knife as little as possible and generally be a bit patient. I spent far too many years working on an old XP laptop. I know all about patience with ArtRage (it couldn't even make half this size).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Hi,

i cant create the canvas. If I try it the message: "A new objekt cant created, progress is canceld. A restart could solve the Problem"

regards,

Max

50cm x 50cm at 600dpi comes out at 11,811 pixels square, which is a really large canvas. The error is being generated because ArtRage cannot allocate enough memory to create it. Apps like Gimp don't track things like the volume or wetness of paint on the canvas so they tend to use less memory which is why you can create it there.

I'd suggest what MarkW suggested and work at 300dpi instead.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.