Thread: ArtRage 4 hangs when using stylus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ArtRage 4 hangs when using stylus

I'm using ArtRage 4.0.6 on Windows 8.1 with my Surface Pro 2. Everything works relatively perfectly except when I try to use the stylus to interact with the UI in any fashion, except in cases of picking a tool or color.

What happens is if I open a window like the preferences dialog, or tool settings, or even click "Check now" when asking whether to check for updates, if I use the stylus to do this, the application's CPU utilization will spike to close to 30% and the whole program will hang for several seconds. Eventually it will settle back to normal, but the action I made with the stylus may or may not be registered (not sure what criteria makes it register or not).

I took a screenshot during one of these occurrences. In it you can see the program using 29% CPU time and Windows indicates it is "Not responding".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (12).jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	79182
    What I did for this screenshot was open the tool settings dialog and then use my stylus to attempt to drag it somewhere else on the screen. The only things I can do with the stylus without the program hanging up is, as I said, selecting a tool or color, or drawing on the canvas.

This is a relatively recent behavior, I believe. If I recall correctly, it only started up sometime within the past few versions.

I don't experience this behavior anywhere else within Windows, so I think it is a bug with ArtRage. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it but it made no difference.

Has anyone else reported this behavior? Is there anything that I can do to fix it, or is it out of my hands and a bug in the program?
    Last edited by Pamiiruq; 02-04-2014 at 03:08 PM.