ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Suggestion to dramatically improve script functionality.

Suggestion to dramatically improve script functionality.

I love the script functionality, but I keep running into problems with it that have completely ruined a few scripts and left several others with significant errors.

These issues are all caused when I pause a script that is recording (to go to the bathroom, grab a snack, take a short break, etc.), and then begin painting again without remembering to start the script again.
    In best cases, I realise very quickly and I can undo a few times and begin again (though sometimes I make too many undos and can cause missing information in the final script)...
    Worst case scenario is that I have to abandon an hour or more of work and re-open an earlier save...Or abandon the script entirely. Neither are very appealing options.

So, I have some suggestions...When a script is paused and I do any of the following, the script should automatically resume recording, or at the very least, prompt me to begin recording with a warning that anything I do while it is paused will not be included in the script (which is useful sometimes):

When I change the colour of the medium (doing this while paused and then resuming the recording causes the wrong colour to appear during the script playback).

When I rotate, or move or zoom the canvas (doing this while paused causes the script to lose focus on the area actually being worked on once you start recording again).

When I make any kind of mark on the canvas (causes missing information in the script playback).

When I change the any layer options (causes missing information during script playback, or worse, the layer does not appear at all during script playback).

Changing mediums (wrong medium will show up during script playback).

Basically...To make it really simple and straight forward, when a script recording is paused, and I try to do anything that will effect the painting without first resuming recording, I would really like a little pop-up notification that says something like:

"WARNING! Anything that you do while the script recording is paused will not be included in the final script!" along with the options "Resume recording", "Dismiss", and "Cancel".

I'm no programmer, but I imagine that this would be a fairly simple thing to patch in, and it would make me (and others I am sure) incredibly happy, because while I try my best, I am not 100% mindful all the time and every time my lack of mindfulness ruins a script I die a little inside...

Thank you for the awesome software and hopefully you take my suggestion on board.
    Last edited by soapmak3r; 02-02-2014 at 12:26 PM.

No feedback (from anyone) on this idea? Just hoping to make the software more functional...

Please keep posting suggestions, if you have them. We do read them. We just can't make any promises!
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I have a shortcut key set up to show and hide my recording panel, which is also set at 150% size. While I work, I hide the panel, so I just keep it directly at the dead center of my screen, at all times. When I go to pause the recording, the panel is made visible and I pause it, and then leave. When I get back to my seat, I'm facing the larger then average panel directly in the way of my canvas, with the "Recording Paused" bar fading in and out. Since it'd be a nuisance to work with a big panel directly in front my canvas, there's no way to forget that I've paused the recording.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

That sounds handy, but with my suggestion I am just trying to make it 100% idiot proof...And prevent myself from ruining any more scripts from my own lack of mindfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
    That sounds handy, but with my suggestion I am just trying to make it 100% idiot proof...And prevent myself from ruining any more scripts from my own lack of mindfulness.
    Right, and I have nothing against that (assuming the prompt doesn't completely bar me from making changes after I've dismissed it). I was just offering up a bit of advice, since I'm sure the feature wouldn't be added into the program overnight, after all. So until we can hope to see that implemented, the method I mentioned is just something you might consider trying.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Right, and I have nothing against that (assuming the prompt doesn't completely bar me from making changes after I've dismissed it). I was just offering up a bit of advice, since I'm sure the feature wouldn't be added into the program overnight, after all. So until we can hope to see that implemented, the method I mentioned is just something you might consider trying.
    I hear you and as I said, it sounds like it could be handy, but I have no idea how to go about doing what you said (the increasing the size part anyway)...As it is, I cover the recording button with the reference when I am painting so that I have to uncover it to pause it, and then cover it again after I unpause it again.

It is an inelegant and non-foolproof solution to a problem that really shouldn't exist in the first place though. It is technically a fairly significant bug with the scripting function as it has such potential to ruin an otherwise perfect script.

At the end of the day, I just love painting in Artrage. I love to record the scripts, and I love to upload them to youtube so people can see my painting process and what a cool digital art program Artrage is.
    I am more than happy to promote the software in this way, and clients love to see the process as well, but when a script playback glitches out because of the complete lack of any failsafe against it, it is a major kick in the nuts, especially if it renders the script completely unusable.