ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Using Your Art?

Using Your Art?

I found some general information about printing on canvas, but I'm curious as to how each of you "use" your art.

For example -- I want to use a things on greeting cards and notecards. I'm assuming I can use card stock and a nice color printer...but I'm just not certain. Should I take a file to the printers instead?

Long term I'd like to try having something printed on canvas, but for now I'd like to at least try a few small projects.

Thanks,
    Shara

I've printed it a whole bunch of ways - I was selling it at a stall for a while, mostly as prints, stickers and cards. But I made myself a few t-shirts as well.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. There are print on demand sites online which can offer a lot of options and are usually big enough to be consistent in quality, but you have to make sure the file is correct first. Many 'photo' printing sites are very good, but tend to have restrictive sizes (as they are based on photo formats). Or you can find a local printer, which has the advantage of being able to talk directly to someone (but if you are picky, you may find you end up trying different printers - they do vary).

If you have a printer at home, then you can easily print cards and things yourself - a home printer will not be as good quality or have as many options, but they can look perfectly good. If all you are trying to do right now is cards, then it's worth playing around at home until you know what to expect and what you actually want.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I think much depends on your end product you're shooting for and how many copies you want. . . also how much money you want to spend.

If you do go to a professional printer, do a press check for any last minute color corrections and so forth. Just because they're professional, doesn't mean it all requires no tweaking on your part. They're not in your head and you're the artist.

Also, if you're going to be adding text and involving yourself in the card's design, you will need software that makes that work. Again, it's a matter of the quality level you're operating at.

If you're completely new to all this, I would perhaps recommend a printer who will help guide you through it a little or at least tell you what they're doing. The quick printer companies are very formula driven and you would end up picking from a catalog and filling in an existing template that will get you somewhere near the sample.

Printing is an art to some degree. Design certainly is. But there are lots of places that do a lot of the work for you and you just give then the painting and the text you want to have in it and let them do the rest.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I use mine for everything from cards, to shirts, to tattoos, to just art on the wall. I know some folks have zazzle stores where they use their prints on mugs, cards, shirts, bags ect. Others use their work inside second life and show off interior design and fashion design.

We also have had a couple video game creators on here as well. Really your possibilities are limited by your own pocket and scope of what you want to do.

Thanks everyone. I have a good quality printer so I am gong to have to take chance and play around .... and see what happens.

On a side note - Even Deviantart offers options to have your art printed on a range of products at varying sizes - dependent on the quality and size of the image you upload. It goes from postcards to canvas prints, through mouse mats to mugs. Had a few mugs printed for the family the other year and the quality was OK. Not the cheapest way to go though if you are thinking in a more business minded way.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks. I just joined Deviant Art and I'm still trying to navigate around. I'll check it out.

I've found software for card formatting and office type supply formatting. I'll post back with the results.

You could also join RedBubble and buy your own stuff cheaper than others can.

Yep! RedBubble, Zazzle, DeviantART and any other major Print on Demand company are all good for that sort of thing. You will be paying a higher price than doing it yourself, a lower price than buying from another artist on there, and will usually not have to worry about print quality. You also then have the option of selling your own work through them (or at least, making it available for other people to buy. The "selling" part doesn't always happen).

You will have to wait for stuff to arrive to see whether it worked though.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!