ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: (workbench mode) making "Toolbox Samples" persistent across paintings

(workbench mode) making "Toolbox Samples" persistent across paintings

Hello,

I quite like the Workbench mode. It works much better, reduces visual clutter / disorientation.

There's one thing that I would love to see in there: at the moment, I can add sample colours to the Toolbox bar.
    This makes a lot of sense for me, because I'm making lots of drawings for which I use a lot of pure black, pure white and also #FEFEFE "almost-white" (254-254-254 RGB). To have them available right there on the Toolbox bar saves me a load of time and additional clicking.

Unfortunately, they seem to be tied to the picture. If I start on a new one or load a file, they're gone from the Toolbox bar. They are still available in the Samples menu, though, so I can of course add them again to the bar.

It is also possible to save those "toolbox samples" to disk and load them again. But here things start to get a bit confusing!
    Inside the samples menu, the Toolbox samples turn out to occupy a separate area called "Toolbox Samples". I think they appeared there after I saved that small set of three colours I mentioned to disk and loaded them again for the next drawing.
    But what I don't really understand is the relationship between that separate 'Toolbox samples" area in the Samples menu, and the Toolbox bar.
    In any case the samples do not seem to appear on the Toolbox bar as soon as I load them from disk: I still have to right-click them and select "Pin to Workbench" in order to make them appear there.
    I find this confusing because they are not actually "pinned" at all: they disappear as soon as I start on another drawing.

So, I would definitely appreciate it if it would be possible to make pinned Toolbox Bar-samples persistent across paintings.
    Last edited by Lúthien; 01-27-2014 at 03:48 AM.

How the samples work and how the Toolbox is integrated has a lot to do with previous sample panel types in AR3 and how the Toolbox was originally intended to be used. I'll leave the full reasons and explanations for it to the AR team though, as they'll obviously have the most details to offer you. However, I do have a workaround that I think may help you out...

If I'm understanding what you want, you'd like to be able to have a specific Toolbox be opened every time you launch AR4 and have the color samples you have saved to that Toolbox remain present on the Workbench when enter it, correct? If so, try this out:

1 - In ArtRage, create a new painting.
    • I'd suggest setting the size, resolution, and canvas type to the settings you use most often (it's not a big deal, as they can be changed, but it helps).
    2 - Now load in the Toolbox set you want to have present each time you open the program.
    3 - Enter Workbench mode and pin the items you want to be there from the Toolbox (presets, stencils, references, color samples, all of it).
    • If there's specific items you use more often then others, be sure to pin those first, in order of importance, so they'll be sure to be on the first row of the bar.
    4 - With all of this done, go to File > Save painting As and save the painting (I'd recommend naming the file "Toolbox Set").

Now, instead of having to fumble around with the individual files for the Color Samples and Toolboxes, you can just open "toolbox Set.ptg" file, because all of that information remains saved with the painting file. If you need to change the canvas size, color, grain, etc, just do it via the Edit options, to avoid using the Create New Painting option, so it won't clear out the Toolbox on you. On my Windows system, I've swapped the shortcut on my desktop with the .ptg file itself, which saves me from even needing to locate and open the file, at all. I'm not sure if that'll work on a Mac though.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi Someonesane,

thanks a lot. I hadn't thought of this, but it is certainly a possibility. Because I need to create a large number of similarly-sized drawings, this is especially helpful. I had created a Canvas Preset, but that obviously doesn't include things like tool preferences.

What you propose is almost similar to using Word or Pages templates. I really hadn't thought of that!

Thanks again! I'm going to try that out first thing tonight.