ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Trouble with "long press" right click with Wacom Tablet/pen?

Unhappy Trouble with "long press" right click with Wacom Tablet/pen?

I recently purchased the full version of ArtRage 4.

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit

Initially, the program and my Wacom Bamboo Create tablet/pen worked fine. Shortly after I upgraded to the full version of ArtRage 4, I noticed that the ability to tap and hold the pen (which ought to act like a "right-click" to bring up menus and so on) had become EXTREMELY sensitive.

I can't actually do much in ArtRage because of this - even trying to tap on a menu selection or different brush is read as though I'm tapping and holding for a "right click". I've gone through and tried adjusting all my settings, both in ArtRage and on the Wacom preferences outside of ArtRage. Nothing has helped. (I also disabled the buttons on the pen and made sure that accidentally pressing those wasn't the issue.)

The issue only appears inside of ArtRage. Outside, all other programs (including other art programs like Sketchbook Pro) work just fine.

I'm using the same operating system with an Intuos and I'm not seeing that behaviour so this might be a driver issue. ArtRage specifically disables tap and hold for right click when over the canvas to avoid it interfering with tools that use tap and hold for operation (airbrush, sticker spray and glitter for example) so that may relate to it.

The first thing to try is updating your tablet drivers. To do this:

1. Uninstall the current tablet drivers.
    2. Reboot your computer (this is really important, if you don't reboot files from the old driver may hang around causing problems).
    3. Download and install the latest drivers from Wacom's website.

If that doesn't fix the problem we can look in to it further to find out what's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi CyberMathWitch

On Windows 7, the timing for the right-click event can be fine tuned in the Windows Control Panel for Pen and Touch.

Go to your control panels, open the Pen and Touch panel
    While on the Pen Options tab, choose the Press and Hold list item:-

Name:  penNtouch01.png
Views: 11290
Size:  35.8 KB

Click the 'Settings' button to open the Press and Hold settings. Here you can adjust the timing of the right click event and test it out in the lower right corner.

Name:  penNtouch02.png
Views: 11271
Size:  33.7 KB

The way I work personally is to uncheck the 'enable press and hold for right-clicking' checkbox to disable this functionality altogether. Then, in my Wacom preferences I use the 'hover-click' option for right-click events

This allows me to use the pen button as a right click while hovering the stylus above the canvas. This stops the confusion in the tools that Matt was describing as the stylus is never in touch with the canvas while calling a right-click mouse event. It also has the added bonus of allowing you to hover+right-click and pan the canvas (very handy and quick while zoomed in)

Hope this is helpful

Name:  hover_click.png
Views: 11017
Size:  85.7 KB
    Last edited by Juz; 01-26-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)