ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Issue with linework on large canvases - help

Issue with linework on large canvases - help

Alright, so I've had this happen to me before, when drawing in a very large canvas, and it's happening again now.. Here's the deal:

When drawing on a large canvas, and perhaps when there is already a lot of detail on the canvas (I'm still only working in a rough pencil layer, but it's doing this on a 16x23in canvas at 300ppi though),
    what eventually happens, is that when doing linework, particularly when making small arcs or circles, the pencil and pen tool, others I imagine too, do this blotting thing, as if the line can't be calculated and isn't fully drawn.

So I'll be drawing a small detail, let's say a small circle, but it seems to lag a tiny bit while drawing, and ends up producing a broken line, like little blots.

Now, I imagine this is a memory issue, but I have 16gb of memory and a pretty powerful PC in general.. i7, ivy bridge, nvidia 680gtx .. Is a hardware limitation, or does this happen on larger canvases in general?

Here's the weirdest part... It seems the issue for some reason doesn't happen on certain parts of the canvas... it doesn't seem to make sense. I'm on an area on the eastern lower part of the canvas and the problem occurs here... but I start working on the next frame, which is in the lower left corner of the same canvas, and the issue isn't happening at all. I drift around the canvas and scribble here and there, and it seems to happen in some places, but not others. Meanwhile, like I said, it's nothing but a rough pencil layer, not layers and layers of paint and color.

Even when condensing the other rough pencil layers into a single layer, the issue persists... so it doesn't seem to have to do with layers or number of layers, but perhaps the amount of 'information' on the canvas...
    If I shrink the canvas, 50% for example, the problem goes away.... But, I really don't want to do that. I want to be able to print a large image in the future.

.. I was using Artrage Studio Pro 3.5.6 or something like that.. Upgraded to the latest and still had the issue.
    Decided to go ahead and get Art Rage 4 and the issue still exists in this file.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to shrink my pages when it comes to inking over the roughs... Maybe I can start again with a blank canvas and trace over an image created from my pencil rough canvas..
    but if the issue started with mere pencil roughs, it'll probably happen when I'm doing the same thing with the pen.. I know it's happened once in the past, and the only way to get past it was to shrink the canvas.

When it comes to the paint layer, small blotches or small curve calculation issues won't be as much of a problem. I like the paint to look rough anyhow.

Any ideas?? Is it a technical limitation based on the canvas size and the information existing in it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

You may want to ask this in the technical section. I do think it might be a limitation of the program. The larger the canvas, the more details/layers you add the more your system will bog down, at least that has been my experience. My iPad can only handle double size of it's natural state and a few layers before it bogs down, I get memory issues, latency when drawing and sometimes the things you mention. for my larger more powerful pc it is about the same, I can run about double the size of my natural state of resolution before things start going weird.

Also the amount of layers and DPI used will make a huge difference too. I could have a smaller image, but have 20-30 layers and have this same bogging effect you speak of. I am sure there are more informed folks out there, so this post is more of a way to bump it up and hopefully get the notice you need to help you.

Sounds like RAM (though 16gb is powerful ) or program limitations. Photoshop would be slow at that scale too. You should be able to get away with working to about half that size at the same resolution for practicality on screen and still print it full size.

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem. Could you send a screenshot including if possible an example of a circle which has the problem, and one which doesn't, ideally in the same canvas? The email address is support@artrage.com. We can work with you directly via email to find out what's happening for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

On a 64bit OS, a 32bit program like Artrage can only use a Maximum of 4gig RAM, so even though you have 16gig the application will only utilize up to 4gig.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Yes, I should be able to duplicate the issue and send comparison shots.

Thanks everyone for replies.

Alright, sorry for the delay, I haven't had much time to work on this, and now I'm back to where the issue was causing the most problem.

Anyway, here's an example of what's going on..

What happens is, it seems, as the larger the canvas is, and perhaps as with an increased amount of data on the image, drawing lines with the pencil, or pen tool, becomes spotty and more difficult to calculate.

Here's an image where I'm drawing a single line and have yet to release the pen from the tablet, but the line is broken before being calculated.
    Smoothing IS on a small amount, and the issue does seem to be worse if there's smoothing on, but even with smoothing all the way down to 0% the issue persists.

Now, when I release the pen from the tablet, the line is calculated and unbroken..
    However, sometimes even finished lines are broken like that. The problem hasn't been quite as bad as it was when I was using the pencil, though I'm working back on the page where the issue was the worst, and it's a hindrance if anything.

On a 64bit OS, a 32bit program like Artrage can only use a Maximum of 4gig RAM, so even though you have 16gig the application will only utilize up to 4gig.
    I don't know if it's possible in the future, but it'd be nice if future editions could take better advantage of a computer's specs.

Okay, it's becoming more troublesome now..

Drawing small circles at 100% (again, on the large canvas), and because it's doing that spotty thing, the circles collapse on themselves and aren't fully formed. It's as if where the spottiness begins and ends, the calculations for the line aren't made. Sometimes the beginning of my lines aren't made, and when the end is ignored, the circular path I've drawn with the pen doesn't result with a circle.. like as far as the program knows, I stopped drawing at the moment before the path ended..

It does sound like it could be a memory issue. Could you drop a mail to support@artrage.com and we can do some troubleshooting with you.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.