ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Here is a piece I did recently, from a photo. I was trying for a very "oil painterly look" and feel I'm really getting there. I all of my work, I try to infuse a little more color than what is actually there, to make the composition come alive.

I started by importing the photo to a layer, and then blurring it. That gave me a sense of where the values - darks and lights- are. I then just took off painting. I never try to stick too close to the photo, I try to paint loosely and with a little more color.

I would welcome any comments and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice work. Thank You to point out how you started your piece... I never thought it was possible to use the blur function applied to a photo
    in a layer for to better feel the sense of the values. That is, may be the same as squinting your eyes on a landscape to see
    or to sense the values, no? Great experience. I will give it a try.
    Your landscape is well done and beautiful.

Elaine, that is just gorgeous. great idea also! Hope you posted the finished piece in the gallery. It's beautiful.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-07-2014 at 01:49 AM.

It looks like a lovely work.

It's beautiful!
    Maybe add some more detail to what you really want to POP off the page. Like, if it's the creek that you want to stand out then add more detail to that.
    I can see that in the very center of the picture, there's quite a bit of detail, and I love that. The rest is blurred, though, and that makes the middle stand out even more so.
    If you want the middle part to stand out, you did the perfect job!

It has a cold, crisp air to it, perfect for a winter day.
    Is it a picture from your backyard? Or just somewhere else that you've traveled to?

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Smile

Absolutely fantastic. My only suggestion is to soften the little black branches sticking out of the snow on the right side. it draws my attention a little too much.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)