ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd & Stanley Kubrick Mash Up.

Pink Floyd & Stanley Kubrick Mash Up.

Hi to everyone. I'm new to the forum and art rage. I've been playing around and having fun with it. Recently I've been listening a lot to Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd, always loved the album's artwork so I thought I'd mash it up a bit and mix it with 2001 A Space Oddyessy also an old favourite of mine. I suppose it keeps me off the streets. I'm finding the forum interesting and informative and I love looking at all the work on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2001 DSOTM Starburst Pyramid #5.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	78742  

Well I guess I'll see you on the dark side of the moon. A couple very influential works for me as well as I was bumping and jostling my way through life. Really vivid memories associated with both.

And I suppose in some way as the icons were joyriding around in my head they passed not unlike this picture perhaps.

It's odd, they kinda go together don't they? Could you imagine what 2001 would have been like had Kubrik hired Pink Floyd to do the music? I listened to that sound track album over and over, as you do in your youth and I have to say Also Sprach Zarathustra was for me a Pop song. I could see that after the final surge it could have dissolved into certain phases from Dark Side or even Shine On You Crazy Diamond most appropriately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuW-GBaJ8k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKiMbC6s2k

Well played painting! Thanks!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I like this work very much. It gives the feeling from both of your subject matter, and you've mixed them up really well, with the illusion of weird events in space. Good stuff!

Thank You.

Thank you both for your welcome, your kind words and the two you tube links which I enjoyed. The soundtrack to 2001 was great but I've often wondered what Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk or similar musicians would have done with it although a bad soundtrack can really spoil a film. I can't believe how much I'm enjoying art rage. I have not used paint (except to decorate rooms) on paper since I was in my early teens some 40 years ago. So maybe an old dog like me can learn new tricks. I'm impressed with the artwork I've seen on this forum so far and I suspect I've barely scratched the surface but it's given me a lot of inspiration. Thank you again, now I'm off to explore the forum further.

Welcome!
    Can't go wrong with Pink Floyd, and my memories of those times are a bit blurry.
    And Kubrick's 2001 made me a sci fi fan for life...Yeah, I know, I'm a Geek!
    Also, we old dogs can always learn new tricks, enjoy learning in Artrage!
    Good combo, and neatly done!
    Hope to see more!
    Take Care,
    Steve

Humble gallery:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...-SEEN-MY-CAT-)

You've merge two masterpieces in a single painting.
    I love it. Bravo!
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

On the same theme..........

Maybe I should get out more, I'm obsessed with this theme at the moment, I now have a lot of variations on this mash up, here are a handful of my favourites.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-2233.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	78821 Name:  Broken Window Billion Stars DS Shattered #1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  169.3 KB Name:  Broken Window WhiteDS Shattered #1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  83.6 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-2202.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	78823 Name:  1-DSOTM Lumpy #1A-033.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  188.4 KB

Looks like album cover art to me!

Without the computer we don't usually have the opportunity to explore variations so readily. Very cool. I can hear sounds for sure. Clever cross associations and contexts. As a visual and thoughtful concept, I like the Dark Side one looking through the broken glass. It's very evocative. I remember looking at album covers endlessly as I would pull out my record collection back when. While I would listen, the art was sitting there handy to put the vinyl back in. And I gazed at them for long periods of time.

Because of the limited nature of radio way back when before FM really exposed us to long tracks, buying music, especially with all the new bands appearing, it was like a crap shoot. So I often bought albums of bands I never heard of before based on the album cover art.

And I spend a lot of time looking at them, in normal light, BW TV light, candle light, moonlight, daylight, blacklight, by the illumination of the odd lava lamp. . . I recall bands who had great album covers but their music I didn't really care for. So I at least had those really cool images to lift me (however, the Beatles white album felt uninspired rather than conceptual to me at the time -- I bought that album because it was the Beatles, but because of dearness of money at the time I felt let down by the music and there was nothing to look at. Any of yours would have been far better than that plain white.)

I went to a Led Zeppelin concert around 1971(?) and out of curiosity bought a bootleg album outside in the parking lot which had a blank white cover sleeve. While listening to that along with their normal releases, I got creative and took a red pen and drew their 4 portraits on it freehand. Back in those days all you had to do was show me a blank page and put a pen in my hand and I was drawing something.

Anyway, that's all pointing up that album cover art used to be almost as important as the music.

And all your offerings here are thought provoking and spacey which for me was the kind I would have bought. And thinking of the one with the fractured glass, all I can think of is it's a sort of cross between breaking on through to the other side, as well as thinking of madness. The lunatic is in my head. . .

Anyway gotta love music and art together. Thanks for posting these. I like them all. I think I need to put on some music.
    Last edited by D Akey; 01-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

nice

I like these a lot. Broken glass would probably be my favorite ..nice work!

Variations.

DA, you've hit the nail right on the head, if there were no programmes like this for computers (thanks artrage and picasa) it would never enter my thoughts to have a go at drawing or painting. I can start of with a basic idea and follow it in any direction, come back and start again ad infinitum. Had I used pens, paper, canvas, paint etc I'd have spent a fortune and I'd be surrounded by unfinished or rejected work encroaching on my living space.

You are very right about The White Album, uninspiring and complacent on so many levels, I like the Beatles, loved them even, but they have always been over rated in my opinion. In those days cover art was very important and like you I bought a lot of turkeys which had interesting sleeve art and information on the group and recording personnel. These days I find very few CD covers up to the standards of Sgt Peppers, Sticky Fingers, almost any Led Zeppelin, New Order/JoyDivision so I'm probably less likely to buy on spec.

The lunatics are on the grass, the lunatics are breaking glass...........