ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Anybody have a script or program to convert ACO to COL?

Anybody have a script or program to convert ACO to COL?

I have some color palettes that are in adobe's aco format and would love to convert them to col for import into ArtRage. I can hand sample or number enter but I'm short on time and automation is such a computer strength.

Thanks for listening.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

A few days ago, I looked for something like this, but unfortunately couldnt find anything. Currently, the fastest way seems to be: 1. Make a screenshot of the palette in PS (or whatever you are using) 2. Import screenshot to Artrage
    3. Directly sample from imported screenshot (using the alt-key or the color picker tool). If you set a shortcut to "Add sample.." (I use '+', which isnt used in Artrages default shortcut mapping), you can convert a mid-sized palette pretty fast, as long as you dont need the color names.

It would be great, if someone would know a better way.

Hi David

the only program I can think of that did conversion of one common palette tag to another was DeBabelizer. They stopped making it around the time the first artrage released, so it would not know the .col tag as that is unique to artrage, plus it was around 4 or 5 hundred dollars in its day.

I don't know enough about the artrage script to know if its possible to do it that way, but if someone is clever enough could they please include the ability to convert .xml to .col as well as its a lot quicker to just type up an xml file than to mix the R, G and B values for each colour.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    I don't know enough about the artrage script to know if its possible to do it that way, but if someone is clever enough could they please include the ability to convert .xml to .col as well as its a lot quicker to just type up an xml file than to mix the R, G and B values for each colour.
    My initial thought, when I saw this thread the other day, was to try a script. However, I don't think the script files allow for interaction/changes to the panels in ArtRage (which I did test, btw). So, if I took the time to take a screen shot of a color palette in in Photoshop, pasted into ArtRage, and then started the script recorder and started picking the colors and adding them to my Color Sample panel, the script would mark down the colors I selected, but that's it. Meaning, if I played the script back, I'd see the colors changing in the color panel, but ArtRage won't add them to the Color Samples panel. It's probably a safety measure, because I know I'd be pretty annoyed if my personal set of color samples were overwritten, because I played a script someone posted and they decided to delete the samples during the recording. It may still be possible, but if it is I'm not aware of the coding for it.

Usually, if it's just a swatch set I'm using briefly, I just grab a screen shot of it and import it as a reference image. Then I grab the colors off it by hold "alt" and tapping them.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 01-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    My initial thought, when I saw this thread the other day, was to try a script. However, I don't think the script files allow for interaction/changes to the panels in ArtRage (which I did test, btw).
    Ok.. makes sense that panels aren't exposed in the script code

Usually, if it's just a swatch set I'm using briefly, I just grab a screen shot of it and import it as a reference image. Then I grab the colors off it by hold "alt" and tapping them
    I like this workaround... great suggestion
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hi everyone, I had some spare time this weekend and I used it to write a Python script, which allows the conversion of GPL color palettes (Gimp, Krita,Gpick) to the Artrage format and vice versa.

Here is the link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...eConverter.rar

While the script currently doesnt support Photoshops 'aco' and 'ase' palettes/swatches, it might be a useful workaround for some of you, because you can convert your Photoshop files with Gimp or Gpick (both free) to the GPL-format.

(Warning: My version of GIMP wasnt able to import the color names of .aco files when importing a Photoshop palette. So if you want to use GIMP to convert your palette files, you should check, whether the color names were converted correctly. A secure (but kind of tedious) way to convert your palettes properly, is to export your palettes to '.ase' with Photoshop and then convert them to 'gpl' with GPick. This imports color names correctly and you even have the option to automatically rename the colors of your palette.)

The script only works if you have Python installed (version 2.7, the script currently isnt compatible to Python 3) and if you have the Python interpreter in your PATH (I think, the Python installer automatically puts the interpreter in your PATH).

How to use the script:
    General syntax: python colorPaletteConverter.py mode parameter1 parameter2 ...

There are currently two modes available:
    1. mode 'file': Convert a single file. Input and output format are identified by the file extensions.
    Syntax for mode 'file': python colorPaletteConverter.py file infile outfile
    Example: python colorPaletteConverter.py file "d:/gimpPalettes/somePalette.gpl" "d:/artragePalettes/somePalette.col"

2. mode 'folder' : Convert all files of a certain type inside a single folder to a different format (currently only Artrage's .col-file and .gpl-Palettes are allowed).
    Syntax for mode 'folder': python colorPaletteConverter.py folder foldername inputFormat outputFormat
    Example: python colorPaletteConverter.py folder "c:/myFolder/" gpl col

Note that I used slashes '/' instead of the typical Windows backslashes '\' . In many cases it will work with backslashes, but if you get error messages, use slashes (or double-backslashes '\\').

Convenience Batch-Scripts:
    I know, that many people dont like command lines; thats why I included two simple Batch-Scripts, which allow the conversion of all palettes in a single folder by simply double-clicking the relevant batch script in the Windows Explorer. For this you have to copy the batch (.bat)-files together with the 'colorPaletteConverter.py'-file to the respective folder. The script 'ConvertGPLpalettesInFolderToAR.bat' will convert all files with the extension '.gpl' to the Artrage format. The resulting filenames will be the same as the GPL-files except for the extension. Similarly, the script 'ConvertARpalettesInFolderToGPL.bat' will convert all files with the extension '.col' to the GPL-format.

It would be great if some of you could test the script and tell me, if it worked for you. In particular, if you find bugs or have any problems, please tell me.

ps. I looked at the Artrage Script Programmers Guide and it looks like it should be theoretically possible to implement the .col export in the Artrage script language. I didnt do it, because I plan to extend this script to a general purpose color palette converter (and because I really like Python), but if someone wants to do it, feel free to look at my code to get some information about the .col-binary format.

I was really excited to see that script, alas, it doesn't seem to exist.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/