Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Be Warned!

Definitely didn't mean anything offensive to Henry, but if he equates disagreeing with making personal attacks, that's his problem. Not trying to be huffy, just saying.

I don't think there's any issue with noting the malware Camstudio tries to install-- that's good to know about. But it is... well... free. And it works very well. It's an amazing tool, and it blows my mind that we all can use it for 0$. You just have to go into that with open eyes. For which Henry should be commended for pointing out.

I just don't think I'd make any sort of blanket statement that people should avoid Camstudio. It's an amazing tool, and should be used. Don't avoid it, IMO, just apply it appropriately.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I just don't think I'd make any sort of blanket statement that people should avoid Camstudio. It's an amazing tool, and should be used. Don't avoid it, IMO, just apply it appropriately.
    This is terrible advice. I can confirm that even with *very* careful installation Camstudio will install MySearchDial into Firefox, Chrome and IE. It also causes IE instability.

A quick search for "camstudio MySearchDial" shows many, many people have problems.

So, yes. Absolutely avoid this program. And no, it should not be used.

Quote Originally Posted by ramp View Post
    This is terrible advice. I can confirm that even with *very* careful installation Camstudio will install MySearchDial into Firefox, Chrome and IE. It also causes IE instability.

A quick search for "camstudio MySearchDial" shows many, many people have problems.

So, yes. Absolutely avoid this program. And no, it should not be used.
    Well, I'll have to disagree with you.

I've used the program for years, on at least three different computers, and have never seen "MySearchDial" appear anywhere (and I just now double checked my Firefox and IE browsers for it). As far as I'm concerned, anyone who's run into any sort of issue with it has either downloaded it from an untrustworthy source (read: not the official CamStudio Open Source page), or hasn't been paying enough attention during the installation process and missed the part where it asked they'd opt in to extras.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

This is a copy of a message from Adobe Community. It illustrates the problem that I ran into and lots of other people too. One has to be warned and very carful. Sometimes it is not enough. Even experienced persons run into the same problems as I did.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6103522

"He is not alone. Hardly. You need to do a general online browser search for the terms "Adobe Reader" paired with "MySearchDial," and you'll find this is a current and widely-reproducible problem. Your mistake is, perhaps, in thinking that people trust Adobe far enough any longer to come here FIRST for solutions to the problems the Adobe app installations are causing.

I just ran into the same problem this morning, when I performed an Adobe Reader update spurred by the Adobe Application Manager. I am a retired software engineer, and trust me I was exceedingly careful to select the 'No' button in response to every damned prompt to load associated crapware as I attempted to load the latest Adobe Reader.

I've just completed spending all frickin' day clearing my system, through a combination of registry edits, uninstall using the Microsoft-recommended "System Repair Engineer" application (since the Control Panel->Programs and Features dialog was unable to uninstall it), and browser re-sets.
    "

Anyway, I am getting out of this forum for good, I just happend to have a look today and had recently followed the discussion on the Adobe Community about Adobes problems with the malware "MySearch Dial". So I thougt I wanted to inform you if you are interested. Have a nice life and keep on painting!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    "
    I just ran into the same problem this morning, when I performed an Adobe Reader update spurred by the Adobe Application Manager. I am a retired software engineer, and trust me I was exceedingly careful to select the 'No' button in response to every damned prompt to load associated crapware as I attempted to load the latest Adobe Reader.
    "
    The underlined is the very problem I was getting at. No matter how smart or sophisticated a person is, they're likely going to fall prey to the slight of hand a magician displays on the street. The person knows the magician is going to trick them, so they pay even closer attention to figuring it out, and they get tricked anyway. Why? Because the magician expects people to be looking for the trick and uses that against them. The man above claims he selected "No" in every response. Why? He assumed every prompt would ask something akin to "Would you like to instal this option as well", and thought he'd be opting out of it. Instead, the installer probably threw him a curve ball questions such as, "Would you like to opt out of this option", which would've required him to answer "Yes". It happens to the best of us. I know it does, because I've won bets with friends and family by sitting next to them and walking them through such installations, after they've done the very same thing. And I'm not above admitting that it's happened to me, as well.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Ach. . . I wandered in off the street and I'm parched. Which one's are the bride and groom? Looks like I've got some catching up to do, lads. Nice shiner, by the way.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

It is good I found this one.
    I recently was considering downloading Gimpshop. I noticed a wqarning from someone a few posts down not do download it.
    I went to the Gimp site and asked about it and was told that when it began Gimpshop was a good program. then it was taken over by some guys who loaded it with Spyware and malware. It is not any good anymore unless you want to rebuild your computer to get rid of all the junk. You will also end up[ with an old version of Gimp after you do that.
    If you want to get a good copy go to the Gimp site and download Gimp from them. I did and I am still back here. Always nice to have a bit of variety.
    Ken
    Love one another.-Jesus

I use Krita

Quote Originally Posted by Raybrite View Post
    It is good I found this one.
    I recently was considering downloading Gimpshop. I noticed a wqarning from someone a few posts down not do download it.
    I went to the Gimp site and asked about it and was told that when it began Gimpshop was a good program. then it was taken over by some guys who loaded it with Spyware and malware. It is not any good anymore unless you want to rebuild your computer to get rid of all the junk. You will also end up[ with an old version of Gimp after you do that.
    If you want to get a good copy go to the Gimp site and download Gimp from them. I did and I am still back here. Always nice to have a bit of variety.
    Ken
    I use Krita since it is a good paint and animation program. Free, just like Gimp, but way better for painting.