ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Best Screen Recording software? Hopefully free or close to it...

Best Screen Recording software? Hopefully free or close to it...

Hey guys wanting to figure out how to record my screen as I'm painting and then speed the video up. Now I currently have Microsoft Expression Encoder. It works great for recording... but there's no way I've found to speed the video up. Kinda looking for something that will automatically do that for me as its recording so I dont end up with a video thats x amount of hours long that I have to edit down.

Just trying to figure out how people go about making "speed painting" videos. How do you get a 5 to 10 minute video out of 4-5 hours of painting? Or do I have to record it in real time then edit it down in a different video editing software?

Looking for the most cost effective way to do this. Not going to spend hundreds of dollars on Camtasia or Sony Vegas to do this...

Would be great to find something free or anywhere between free and $20.00.

Also need something that works off line as I do most of my painting where I dont have an internet connection(at work believe it or not).

I use CamStudio, its not very perfect, but for me the best ... CamStudio is freeware ...
    And for making smaller Videos I use VirtualDub, its also free ... and I use also the XVID-Codecs

I'm in agreement with Zeropainter, on using CamStudio. It's free and easy enough to use, but you'll still need another program to convert the video (to mpeg, mp4 and whatnot). It does have a setting for frame capture though, so you can set it up to do time lapse easily. I've used it to record all of my ArtRage related YouTube videos. For the fancy stuff (adding text/music, pointer/arrow overlays, spotlights, etc) I use a program called Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013, which I picked up at Best Buy for $30. It does pretty much everything I ever bothered to use in Sony Vegas.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

hi! I use BANDICAM, is fantastic, very fluid. For convert the file AVI created with bandicam I use the free software ANY VIDEO CONVERTER.
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by CMDesign View Post
    Hey guys wanting to figure out how to record my screen as I'm painting and then speed the video up. Now I currently have Microsoft Expression Encoder. It works great for recording... but there's no way I've found to speed the video up. Kinda looking for something that will automatically do that for me as its recording so I dont end up with a video thats x amount of hours long that I have to edit down.

Just trying to figure out how people go about making "speed painting" videos. How do you get a 5 to 10 minute video out of 4-5 hours of painting? Or do I have to record it in real time then edit it down in a different video editing software?

Looking for the most cost effective way to do this. Not going to spend hundreds of dollars on Camtasia or Sony Vegas to do this...

Would be great to find something free or anywhere between free and $20.00.

Also need something that works off line as I do most of my painting where I dont have an internet connection(at work believe it or not).
    My Screen Recorder Pro does time lapse screen recording. It creates small size videos with excellent clarity in MP4, WMV or Flash Video format. You can use a video editor if you want to speed up the video, or just use the time lapse feature to directly create the recording you are describing.

Screen recording with Wink

While not really a recorder, I use the freeware program 'Wink' for creating demos. It captures screens for each keystroke or mouse click, then allows you to edit the captures and annotate with text and audio. It can then convert it to a flash video. I think it is a great program and meets my needs; an easy way to create compact training videos. You can read more about it at http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ . Rich