ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stencil Issue... Need help. Low opacity stencils not working.

Stencil Issue... Need help. Low opacity stencils not working.

Hey guys I'm new to artrage and have just started trying to mess with stencils. For whatever reason if I try painting on a stencil that isn't just completely open or full opacity I guess(dont really know how to explain it) when i try to paint it just starts to paint and stops I have to keep clicking.. and it only paints for a split second. It doesnt keep painting like it should. A good stencil to mention for example would be the "Bark" stencil thats included with Artrage 4 or the "Mossy" stencil... However if I use a stencil that doesnt have to change the opacity at all such as the "Checkers" stencil it paints exactly as it should. I tried making a stencil using the watercolor brush and put the thinner slider up to about 60-75%.. it does the same retarded thing.. I made one using the ink pen with full opacity and it worked fine. How do I fix this?

That sounds peculiar. Can you upload a screenshot to show what's happening? I can't get my computer to do the same thing.

It might just be a tablet driver issue. Can you check whether your drivers are up to date? Also, what version of ArtRage are you using?

Or send us a support query so that we can look into it in more detail, as it can get complicated trying to troubleshoot in a forum.
    http://members.artrage.com/support_queries/new
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Give me a bit I'll try to figure out a way to show whats happening.. May have to download a screen recording software and upload a video to youtube to show whats happening.. any suggestions on the best one for this? a free one... lol

Ok on the stencil on the left.. the bark stencil.. if i start trying to paint in the middle of it it will just start to paint and immediately stop. Notice the black dots closer to the middle. If I start painting outside of the stencil and drag into it it works fine(notice the black line starting outside of the stencil)... but then i'm left with a lot of clean up. The two stencils to the middle and right if i start painting in the middle of them or where it would have been white before the paint was added it works fine.. as it should. The joker stencil at the bottom. If I were to try to paint his mouth area where the opacity is lower (the light red area) it will do the same thing that the bark stencil did.

On any stencil if i try to start painting where it is solid red and drag out into the open area.. it wont lay down any paint at all I will have to let up on the mouse button and start painting in an open area. Seems to me it should still lay down paint as soon as you hit an open area with out having to reclick.

Hopefully this will help you understand whats happening. If not I'll try to figure out a way to upload a video of whats going on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stencil issue.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	78694

When you mouse down over a solid pixel of the stencil and drag off to an open area the paint should flow, you shouldn't need to release the mouse button and re-click to get paint to appear.

Could you create a simple (small) canvas with a stencil on and get the problem to happen, then save the file (don't change tools or anything) and email it to us at support@artrage.com and we can take a look at it - That will give us all the tool settings so we can see what's happening when you're painting on the solid area.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    When you mouse down over a solid pixel of the stencil and drag off to an open area the paint should flow, you shouldn't need to release the mouse button and re-click to get paint to appear.

Could you create a simple (small) canvas with a stencil on and get the problem to happen, then save the file (don't change tools or anything) and email it to us at support@artrage.com and we can take a look at it - That will give us all the tool settings so we can see what's happening when you're painting on the solid area.
    It's sent. Please keep me posted on what you guys find out.

Not sure if this is related but:-

-sticker brushes are ignoring stencils completely atm. Masking works correctly with the sticker brush on active selections, but is not working at all when this tool is used with stencils

-also an oil brush with auto-clean set to off is no longer interacting with paint from stickers... it just lays down as though on an empty canvas.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    -sticker brushes are ignoring stencils completely atm. Masking works correctly with the sticker brush on active selections, but is not working at all when this tool is used with stencils
    It's working for me. Perhaps you had the Symmetry feature active? The Ruler and Guide mode stencils types won't work with that active.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    -also an oil brush with auto-clean set to off is no longer interacting with paint from stickers... it just lays down as though on an empty canvas.
    This is happening on my end, as well, but I'm not sure if it was intended or not.

The only color the brush seems to interact with are colors put down by "paint" related tools. So if you made marks with the sticker, felt pen, crayon, gloop tool, air brush, etc, it won't pick the color up when it's passed over it. If you have marks made by the Roller, Paint tube or Glitter (for some reason), the Oil brush will blend the color into the stroke (though, with the glitter, it seems to need to be worked in, rather then just passed over).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    It's working for me. Perhaps you had the Symmetry feature active? The Ruler and Guide mode stencils types won't work with that active.
    Tnx for the feedback SoS.

Nah didn't have symmetry on....but now that you've confirmed that it's ok at your end I'm thinking maybe it's something unique to the cintiqCompanion driver.. I'll test again and compare with my desktop machine.
    EDIT: Restarting fixed it. Not sure what caused it as I don't use symmetry ..... possibly I triggered something unintentionally with touch.

I wasn't sure if it was intentional with the paint and (flattened) stickers either, but they used to interact so I thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: I can get the stickers to function as paint once more if I export out the layer and import it back in (my current workaround)
    Last edited by Juz; 01-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by CMDesign View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to artrage and have just started trying to mess with stencils. For whatever reason if I try painting on a stencil that isn't just completely open or full opacity I guess(dont really know how to explain it) when i try to paint it just starts to paint and stops I have to keep clicking.. and it only paints for a split second. It doesnt keep painting like it should. A good stencil to mention for example would be the "Bark" stencil thats included with Artrage 4 or the "Mossy" stencil... However if I use a stencil that doesnt have to change the opacity at all such as the "Checkers" stencil it paints exactly as it should. I tried making a stencil using the watercolor brush and put the thinner slider up to about 60-75%.. it does the same retarded thing.. I made one using the ink pen with full opacity and it worked fine. How do I fix this?
    Hiya there

Same problem here, in fact it is what brought me to forums. When I try to paint on a stencil unless the part of the stencil is completely 100% clear it will not start painting, but paints fine on the plain canvas area outside the stencil and if I then move it over the stencil without lifting the mouse button it will paint.

Has there been any progress on this problem? using 4.0.6 doing things this way worked fine in 3.5 ! (which I have returned to for now)

Zoo