ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 2014 almanac

2014 almanac

I had a newsletter from one of my favourite illustrators, Dibupoly, and it was his 2014 almanac. I decided to use his layout, since I liked it and since I use to make my own almanac every year. I want to re-use my ArtRage illustrations and make the whole layout in ArtRage 4. This is the the original layout and my ArtRage setup side by side:

Name:  2xlayout.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  55.6 KB

As you can see I made black rectangles on white background arranged in the same layout as in the original picture. The AR design can be downloaded here for you to use in your almanac project. Remember to set the "Screen" blend mode to make it work properly. Of course the file can also be white with transparent areas to show the images in, just like a photo frame. In that case, just delete the black rectangles and use the deafault blend mode.

Name:  Skärmklipp1.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  46.4 KB

Next step is to import image by image into new layers and to scale them to the right size and arrange them in the best way. Sometimes some erasing is needed to make the images not overlay each other.

Name:  Skärmklipp3-001.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  36.9 KB

The last step is to add text to each picture like this (in this layout example):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	place.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	78658

And of course, there are a zillions ways of designing almanacs. I just happend to like this one. The text to fill in months, days and dates can be a bit tricky to arrange inside AR, it is better made in a proper layout program like Serif Page Plus, InDesign, InkScape or some other. I have pre-made all months as png-files for you to use if you like. They are all in the same format and I used the standard Arial font. Anyway, they are clean and readable and can be used as stencils. Here they are(zipped) looking like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.png 
Views:	1079 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	78659

Hopefully you find this to be of some use.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 12-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.